𝐀 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐫

The Evil queen's meetings with Prince James, per her firm, unwavering orders, were secret. Still, they were frequent. Her desire demanded it, and James complied willingly, with enthusiasm. Usually, he snuck in to her palace with impeccable stealth, but a few times, she had joined him at his own, arriving there with magic. Occupied or not, the queen required his attention, and she received it every time, regardless of what he was doing. Eventually, he became compliant, but sexually, he was equally demanding, and that was what drew her to him. They had enough similarities to bond over: their wickedness, their desire for power and control, and their appetite for rough, painful sex. Regina felt lucky to have found him, but despised that sentiment entirely.

"Ah," she'd said, announcing her presence the first time she had encountered him in the forest behind her palace. "So, the handsome Prince James appears in my realm at last. I was wondering when you would dare to cross my borders."

"Dare?" he taunted. "You think I fear you?"

Her eyebrows raised as she watched the fearless boldness flash in his eyes. It was dark, but it was also playful. Her eyes dropped over his large, firm figure, stopping at the subtle bulge in his trousers. Her skin tingled.

"You should."

"Well, I don't."

"Why are you here?" she finally asked, irritation in her voice.

She didn't appreciate being goaded by some young, childish prince who felt himself entitled to all the power and riches in the world. On the one hand, his boldness was attractive. It set something ablaze inside her that she hadn't felt in a long while. Of course, she was far from alone in her kingdom. Her appetites, though unsatisfied, were addressed by her choice of knights (none in particular), but she did feel the sting of loneliness when she dismissed them to resume their posts at night. This young man, audacious and impertinent, was the first to make her desire truly burn. It was difficult to explain to herself - she'd just met the man - but the nerve he possessed to challenge her captured her interest immediately. On the other hand, it was infuriating.

"Gaining knowledge of my rival's kingdom, of course," he told her with a confident smirk. "Why else?"

"You have a lot of gall, coming here."

"I have a lot of things, and yes... I suppose gall is one of them."

She wanted to slap the grin off his pretty, handsomely stubbled face. Who did he think he was? As a mere prince of her rival kingdom - one which she planned to soon destroy - he should not have felt entitled to or even capable of challenging her. Yet, here he stood, nonchalantly and unthreateningly resting his hand on the hilt of his large, elegant sword.

"I could have you slain for your insolence," the queen warned, the threat flashing like fire in her eyes.

"By who? You seem to be alone."

"So it would seem," she drawled. "But are you certain of that?"

"Certain enough to draw my sword and return the threat."

"You wouldn't dare."

"No?"

"No."

He watched her intently, the smile on his face remaining. The shock she was feeling wiped away the warning in her dark eyes, and it gave him a burst of triumph as he watched it wash over her. He took a bold step forward, challenging her to react as he slowly revealed the first few inches of his weapon.

The queen, however, would not be intimidated by some entitled little shit, regardless of how confident he may have been. The fierceness in her eyes returned full-force and met his challenge with just as much cool conviction as he tried to display. She returned his gesture by matching his step forward and lifting her hand, forming a searing orb of fire that hovered above her palm. At first, he looked surprised and stepped back, but when she smiled at him victoriously, he growled and fully drew his sword.