𝐌𝐚𝐲 𝐈

The queen walked the young man to his room, but hesitated as she held the door open for him and watched him step inside.

"I hope you'll find it comfortable," she said politely, biting her lip as a sudden, unfamiliar wave of insecurity splashed over her.

"I'm sure I will, Your Majesty."

"Goodnight, Prince Charming."

At last, she shut the door and made her way to her own bedchamber. This left the young man to sit quietly on the bed, picturing the queen and the way her dark locks of hair flowed down past her shoulders, and the way her chocolate eyes pierced him when their gazes locked. Not to mention the way her breasts nearly burst from her elegant, well-fitting dress. The queen fell asleep picturing his smile, the brightness of his eyes, and the way his skin felt warm against her.

They spent the following day outside with the horses, and David impressed the queen with his skill in handling them.

"Farm boy, indeed," she commented with a smile. When he blushed and looked embarrassed, she told him, "No. David, I think it's wonderful. I love a man who works hard."

I love a man who sweats, she wanted to say, staring at the way his muscles glistened in the sun, but held back the urge to let the words escape. Instead, she watched him as he lifted the heavy saddle off of its hanger and onto the large draft horse.

"He's a real beauty, Your Majesty," the farm boy told her.

As are you, the queen thought, but managed once again to filter her words.

"Thank you," she said. "I think so too."

Later that night, after the two had eaten, there was a long pause in their conversation, which had been about Regina's childhood. It was something she'd never considered sharing with anyone else, but there was something safe about David, something she couldn't help but give in to.

"Are you alright?" he asked her, seeing the lamenting sorrow in her eyes. "Did I say something wrong? Should we-"

Her face softened as she lifted her head to look at him, asking suddenly, "Would you dance with me?"

"I... Me, Your Majesty?" he questioned dumbly as his head spun in confusion. "I don't... I'm not... I haven't bathed since we were outside, and I-"

"Dance with me, David," the queen said softly, pulling him from his seat.

Flicking her hand to start the music - which turned out to be slower and more romantic than she'd really intended - Regina stepped away from the table, pulling him into the open space beside it. One shaking hand found hers, and the other found her waist. She was the first to move, carefully setting the pace. He was surprisingly graceful as he caught up to her movements and took over the lead. Soon, the two were wearing smiles they could not wipe away. Eventually, Regina grew bold enough to close the space between their bodies as she melted into him, her head resting on his shoulder. Since she was a teenager, she had never been so vulnerable as she was then, in David's strong, muscular arms.

The moment quickly shifted, however, when the young man began to feel the queen's breath warm on his neck. Goose bumps appeared where her breath teased his skin, and his heart began to race. Over the music, she couldn't hear it, and David was grateful. The last thing he needed was to reveal his intense reaction to her slightest touch. But alas, the queen unintentionally chose that moment to be brave, and placed one chaste kiss at the base of his neck as her fingers threaded through the hair on the back of his head.

"My queen," he whispered, wanting to return the gentle kiss, but not daring to do so.

Regina shivered, hearing the way he addressed her. In all the time she'd been with James, he had never said those words.