Helpless

Giyuu lost track of time.

Ever since Urokodaki passed he felt different.

He felt less...

He felt less of everything.

He couldn't tell how many days passed or how many hours he spent simply moving his body for the sake of it.

He would blink sometimes and dawn would turn to dusk, his mission completed and his feet moving to the next one.

He felt muted as he travelled, the only real thing keeping him connected to the world was his crow's voice.

He felt so numb...

Yet he didn't falter, and he carried out his duty as a pillar to the best of his abilities.

He moved from mission to mission, not bothering to rest as he slayed demons in his wake.

He hadn't been injured once since he developed his new form, every attempt by the demon's he encountered failing. Every encounter ending with the demon's dying as their attacks dissipated in front of him.

I guess this is the last one...

He slid his sword back in his sheathe, the demon nest he slaughtered finally cleared out.

Now on to the next one...

Kanzaburo landed on his shoulder, cawing as it gave his next order.

"Caw! Travel to Mount Kumotori! Caw! Demon spotted on the mountain! Caw!"

Giyuu nodded, moving toward his next mission just as he did all the others.

Keep moving...

He sped up as he travelled, not even feeling the fatigue or pain that had slowly crept up on him.

Don't stop...

He passed the edge of the road and barreled down the path toward the next town, planning where he would spend the few days it took to reach his destination.

It's all you can do.

.......

Giyuu traveled through the night and through the day. Only stopping once to rest as he travelled to his destination.

Finally, as the sun rose he made it to his destination, a snowing mountain with a village at the foot of it.

He scanned the village, moving quickly to the mountain when he was told of a family that sold charcoal at the base of it.

Please don't be too late...

He sprinted up the mountain, never stalling even as he smelt blood.

Please...

He made it to a hut, blood across the the yard and inside the house. Dead bodies were scattered everywhere, taunting him with every excruciating detail. As if asking him why he didn't show up sooner and save them from their fate.

No...

He searched the area and bolted as he saw footprints leading away from the house.

He followed them until he spotted two figures in the distance, a boy with tofunda earrings, blackish-red hair and a green and black checkered haori and a girl with long black hair and a pink kimono above him.

He took in the scene, the girl clawing at the boy as she tried to devour him. The boy holding an axe in her mouth to try and stop her.

A survivor...