First Encounter

It was dark by the time they got to the next town, barreling towards the first inn they could find so they could rest for the night.

Giyuu pulled to a stop as he reached the inn, setting Tanjiro down as he got money out so he could pay for their stay.

He turned to Tanjiro, who was looking at him with wide eyes, tilting his head curiously at the boy's silence.

Is he sick?

Tanjiro felt his jaw drop at Tomioka's actions, his mentor not even acknowledging the fact that he just ran for hours without stopping and wasn't even out of breath.

What the hell? How did he do that? He doesn't even look tired...

Giyuu ignored his confusing Tsugoku and entered the inn, spotting the receptionist and heading toward her.

He placed a handful of money on the table, holding up a finger for one room.

The receptionist took a look at the man, taking in his rugged appearance.

He held a basket on his back and what looked to be a sword on his waist. The boy that was next to him looked to be his younger brother and had a haggard look as if he had just been tossed around for hours on end.

I've seen weirder things...

She handed him the key to a single room, taking his money and not bothering to ask questions she didn't want to know the answer to.

She gave them a fair warning as they passed, the same one she gave all recent visitors.

"Make sure to stay inside. People have been disappearing recently. Better safe than sorry."

Giyuu nodded, making a mental note to check out the town for any demon activity.

Tanjiro followed him up the stairs and to their room, taking in the simple one-room, one-window design and a pair of futons on the ground.

Thank Kami... I couldn't sleep at all over Tomioka's shoulder.

He sighed in relief as he started getting ready to go to sleep, stilling as he saw Tomioka open the window.

He tilted his head, "What are you doing Tomioka-san?"

Giyuu tilted his head back, "Leaving."

Tanjiro's eyes widened as his teacher jumped out the 2 story window, disappearing into the night with Nezuko still on his back.

Huh?

..........

Giyuu had scoured half of the town when he heard a noise, the passenger on his back shuffling in distress.

Oh right. I forgot I still had her.

He looked around, making sure no one was around as he set her down on the roof of the house he was on.

He opened the sheet holding her in the basket, watching as Nezuko popped out of the top of it to look at him with child-like eyes.

Nezuko tilted her head at him, probably wondering why her brother wasn't anywhere to be seen.

Hm. I probably should have left her with Tanjiro.

He tilted his head, not used to being the one doing the speaking in conversations.

"Uh... Your brother isn't here right now. I left him behind."

Nezuko's eyes widened as she looked around frantically, bolting to another rooftop as she searched for her brother.