Water Estate

By the time they got to Tomioka's estate, Tanjiro had become used to traveling over Tomioka's shoulder like a bag of rice.

If I focus on the horizon it's not that bad. It isn't as bumpy as I thought it would be either.

He had gotten a little dizzy the first few days, but after a while, he adjusted.

"We're here."

He breathed in relief as Tomioka spoke for maybe the third time in the last few days of traveling, coming to a stop and setting him down.

Tanjiro turned to look at the estate, eyes widening in shock as he took it in.

It's huge...

It was a wooden, classic Japanese-styled manor, with a gate in the front with purple trees by the entrance. A river flowed through the side of the estate, connecting to a forest in the back.

Tanjiro had never left his village before, his brain was stalling as he tried to process the sheer size of the estate.

I've never seen a house this big back in the village.

He gulped, freezing as Tomioka moved past the front gate and continued walking.

Huh?

"Uh, Tomioka-san. Where are you going?"

Tomioka turned back to Tanjiro, "Through the forest."

Tanjiro followed him, his head tilted curiously as he asked, "Why don't we go through the front gate?"

Tomioka spoke nonchalantly, "The trees out front are Wisteria trees. If your sister gets too close to them she could get sick."

Tanjiro missed a step as he took in Tomioka's words, groaning as he landed face-first in the dirt.

Tomioka turned back to Tanjiro, tilting his head.

Did I say something wrong?

Tanjiro stood up and dusted himself off, "I'm okay."

Just trying to get used to the fact that you're too blunt sometimes...

Tanjiro sighed as he followed Tomioka through the forest, not bothering to try and get Tomioka to be more forthcoming with information.

He really doesn't like to talk.

Tanjiro had tried to get Tomioka to open up while they were traveling, but he only answered his questions and nothing else.

I wish he would tell me more about himself. Until Nezuko wakes up he's the only person I can talk to.

He looked down glumly, thinking of his sister.

Ever since the demon they encountered Nezuko hadn't woken up. She stayed asleep through the entire trip.

At least Tomioka-san bought her new clothes. I'll have to buy him something in return for all he's done for us.

He followed Tomioka to the back door of the house.

I wonder what I could buy him though. He said I'll get money after I join the corps but his house is huge. Is there anything I could even buy him?

He stalled as Tomioka opened the door.

Nevermind...

There was no furniture anywhere in the building. There looked to be food in the kitchen but barely any of it. If it wasn't for the sandals by the front door and the lone table for dining he wouldn't know that anyone lived here.