CLXXVIII- What Happened to Us?

A little early but happy New Year's lovelies!!! Let's kick off 2023 with a new chapter. Don't forget to vote and comment what you think, I genuinely love reading your comments. So without further adue.....

-------------------------------------

I got up before everyone else to make breakfast. Bacon and pancakes with blueberry smiley faces on them. It's not the Mickey Mouse ones my mom used to make me, but it's a start. "Livvie." Matthew whines as he shuffles out, his knuckles rub the sleep out of his eyes. "I'm hungry."

I go to him and pick him up, "Let's get you some food then." I sat him down on one of the barstools. He likes it there for breakfast, it makes him feel like us grownups. "I made you pancakes. Do you want milk or juice, Matty?"

He thinks on it long enough to yawn. "Milk, please." I nod and walk around to get him what he asked for.

"Is Noelle awake?" he shakes his head no as I place a plate down for him.

By now Jenny and Jake are up. "It smells like bacon." Jake notices right away.

I laugh, "That would be the bacon. Come on, I'll make some plates." I shuffle around the kitchen for the next few minutes. Meanwhile, Jenny goes into Matthew's room to get Noelle up.

Katie walks out next, freshly showered and dressed in soft blue jeans with a burgundy long sleeve shirt. "Mmm, smells good." I think she's talking about the food but the first thing she reaches for is the coffee. "Man, that is the last time I get wine drunk and stay up past my bedtime." Katie picks up a blueberry from the crate it came in and pops it into her mouth.

Jenny and Noelle walk out just in time for me to finish up. "I love blubries." I swear that's how she pronounced it.

"Blue-berries. Not blubries baby." Jake picks her up so she can sit on the stool besides Matthew. Then he looks at me with a smirk that says, "She doesn't care, she's five."

Once everyone who's awake at the moment gets their food, I walk down the hallway to Shawn's office and knock on the door. "Hunter, you awake?"

After a few moments he opens it, looking disheveled and swollen. "Unfortunately I am, in fact, awake." He trudges himself out to join us in the living room.

"Seven down, one to go." I said as I headed to get Shawn up.

He beats me to it, opening the door as soon as I get to the top of the stairs. "Hey, beautiful."

I giggle like a schoolgirl. The irony isn't lost on me, "You're in a good mood."

He shrugs, "I woke up to the smell of bacon this morning, and I have you as my wife. I'm on cloud nine." Okay, now he's just being cheesy. But I'd be lying if I said it didn't make me blush.

"Awe, I love you."

He kisses me, "I love you too."

We walk downstairs with me in the lead, "I also made blueberry pancakes."

Shawn places a hand on my shoulder and leans in behind me to whisper, "If there wasn't a house full of people, I would take that syrup and-"

"Hey! You're not being as quiet as you think." Hunter chastises and feigns a shiver, "Your perfect marriage is sickening."

I smile and take the last step down into the living room. "Our marriage isn't perfect."

"Please." Shawn comments.

"Exactly." Hunter added with a hint of jealousy.

This right here, is perfect. These are the moments with my lifelong friends and our families that I've always wanted. Jenny and Jake, sitting on the air mattress with far too much bacon between the two. Katie, still stealing blueberries out of the cart. Noelle and Matthew talking in a language only kids understand. My perfect husband, and his sticky fantasies this early in the morning. And Hunter, pretending to be grossed out by us.