CLXXXIII- It's Hard To Be Surprised When You Already Know The Truth

Livia's P.O.V.

While Shawn was off with Layla, I got a visitor of my own. "Marin?" He greeted me at the door with a gift basket in his arms.

"Hey, Livia. I brought this for you." Marin hands all twenty pounds of it to me. The plastic crinkles loudly between us. "I was kind of hoping for a truce."

I open the door for him to come inside and turn to set this down on the counter. "Shut the door behind you please." He does as I ask and closes it before turning back to me. By now I've successfully set the basket down and regained my strength. "Can I get you anything to drink or-"

"-No. Thank you." I know how crazy I must seem. Offering him anything when less than twenty-four hours ago he was destroying my family on Anne Lake. "I know what happened last night wasn't your fault. I tried to not bring you into it."

"Kind of hard when I'm married to the guy."

Marin walks over to the couch and sits down. I can't relax like he can so I stand. "About that...if you knew about Katherine then why stay?"

He's not even supposed to be here and he's already overstepping. I click my tongue, "I guess it's because I know the real him. It doesn't matter what he's done."

"Even if it shows a pattern?" His tactics are what I'm more focused on. He comes here to give me a gift basket and question my motives? Who does he think he is? "That's okay it was rhetorical anyways."

I scoff. "What do you know?"

Marin smiles devilishly. "I know that when it comes to Shawn, he just can't keep his hands to himself. He did it with my girlfriend and he did it to Dean Cooper's girlfriend."

That catches my attention. "What? Dean? Shawn wasn't some knight in shining armor ready to jump in and save me. I did that shit myself. I left him."

Marin's eyes glance down at my stomach before meeting my eyes again. "How well did that work out for you?"

My anger boils at his innuendo. "Oh you need to leave."

He chuckles at me like my life is a joke to him. "Of course." His hands come up in a false surrender. "I would never overstay my welcome. But I do have one more question for you...do you know where your husband is right now?" He's still toying with me, I can see it on his face.

"He's at work." I deadpan.

My heart drops into my stomach when he tells me I'm wrong. "That's what I thought too. Until I went there only to find out he never came in." Marin walks over to the door. "Oh well, I'm sure he's not at Layla's bar or anything."

"What?" It came out as almost nothing. "How do you-?"

"Oh! I'm just assuming. You know because of what I said last night? I assume he's trying to get one of his ex lovers to not tell you about what happened between them. He doesn't have a cvs receipt of bodies or anything so Layla is more of an educated guess." He...what? "But you're his wife. Of course you know about it already." He can clearly see the blood drain from my face. I had no idea he slept with Layla I mean- I specifically asked him if he slept with anyone during our breaks. I would've remembered if he told me it was fucking Layla. How many times did he fuck her? Was it at the bar? Was I there, dancing while they snuck off?

"How do you know about that?" I asked because if it's a stupid answer then he's lying.

Marin holds his smirk. "That's actually a funny story. See I was looking into his background when I found out I had a son. I knew about Katherine so I was a little weary of him. Then I found your book on Amazon of all places and found out about you. I wanted to make sure there weren't other students and thankfully there wasn't. But I did come across Layla, who you mentioned in your book along with her bar. I mainly went there to talk about Jack and the people that's actually around Matthew. She had a lot more to say about Shawn than Jack so it led me to one conclusion. They fucked. I mean obviously, it's been years and she talks very highly of a man who essentially broke up your relationship with her brother." He sighs deeply.