𝟎𝟑. 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐂𝐥𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐰𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐬

❝ᴄᴏɴғɪᴅᴇɴᴄᴇ ɪs sɪʟᴇɴᴛ

❝ᴄᴏɴғɪᴅᴇɴᴄᴇ ɪs sɪʟᴇɴᴛ. ɪɴsᴇᴄᴜʀɪᴛʏ ɪs ʟᴏᴜᴅ❞

♛♛♛

Sunlight lit up the small room almost blinding Enola as she opened her eyes. the fresh fallen snow outside made the world brighter than usual, but even though her eyes struggled to adjust to it all, Enola appreciated the beauty of the white covered woods outside her window, it was so different from the city of Chicago where fresh fallen snow turned gray or yellow almost as soon as it hit the ground thanks to the pollution from cheap, trashy cars and drunks who used the streets as a toilet.

judging by the position of the sun, Enola could tell that it was noon. Even though it was her first night in the Clearwater house Enola had slept a lot better than she had in a long time, it was as if her body was recognizing the calm of her new surroundings. She didn't want to leave her new bed, but still she forced herself to sit up. Slowly she let her feet hit the floor, despite the weather outside the floor was surprisingly warm. It was the exact opposite of her home in Chicago where she had decided not to turn on the heat in an attempt of keeping the electric bill as low as possible so she could save up more money for her escape.

The warmth that spread from her feet to the rest of her body reminded her of how much her life had changed in the last 48 hours, she had gone from scared to safe, from cold to warm.

She threw on a sweatshirt before quietly making her way out of her new room and down the stairs to the house's living room. The TV was on and Sue sat on the couch with a mug full of something warm, Enola could tell by the steam coming from it. as she entered the room Sue looked up at her with that kind smile of hers. "Hi Enola," she greeted. Enola smiled back at her and muttered a small "Good morning," Enola took her time to look around the room, Sue was the only one there, and she couldn't hear anything other than the TV so she figured the rest of the family wasn't home at the moment. As if she had read Enolas thoughts Sue spoke up "Seth and Leah are in school, and Harry is visiting his friend Billy. I didn't want to disturb your sleep by waking you to see them before they left, you can get to know them a bit better when they get home later," Enola smiled sincerely at Sue, the woman was so kind and considerate it made Enola feel all safe inside.

Enola wanted to thank Sue, she really did but she just couldn't seem to find the right words, she had no idea how to handle kindness like Sue had showed her, so she just stuck to thanking her for letting her sleep.

A small moment of silence fell over them before Sue rose from the couch and exclaimed "breakfast! you must be starving! I haven't had time to do the weekly grocery shopping, so we don't have much, we do have some toast though, would you be okay with that?" and just as Enola thought about it she realized that she was in fact starving, she hadn't eaten anything in at least two days, so the thought of some toast sounded heavenly to her. "Toast is great, thank you so much Sue!" "of course, follow me" Sue told her.