Chapter Eighteen

A/N - flashbacks are in italics

Ellie's POV

I spent the whole night in bed tossing and turning, scared to sleep. My head replaying flashbacks of my childhood... Over and over. Everytime I shut my eyes and drifted into even a light sleep, I got nightmares that seem to ignite all my senses. My whole body was taken over by fear. My eyes were stinging from exhaustion. I leaned over to my nightstand to pick up my phone and see what the time was. 3:06 am. God I need sleep. I thought to myself. But my head wouldn't let me that easily. The nightmares seem so real. Is it even normal to be scared to sleep? I rubbed my eyes from the tiredness and the fact my phone light practically blinded me because of the sudden change from pure darkness to bright light. I could feel a headache coming on, showing how tired I was becoming. I couldn't let myself slip into sleep that easily. I knew what was gonna happen if I did. It was one of those nights.
Hello insomnia. I haven't missed you. Out of no where another flashback hit me. And it hit me hard. It's like he was here. In this room. Standing over me.

"These drugs are dodgy. What do you think you're doing? Are you trying to kill me?" He hissed, spitting venom with every word he spoke. Increasing the fear bubbling away inside of me.

"All drugs are dodgy. They'll kill you someday." I said. Why was I feeling confident? Ellie you idiot. Never talk back. Never say anything. This is your fault now. You brung this on yourself.

"You what?" He said through gritted teeth.

"I-I nothing." I whimpered back to him. My voice becoming more and more shakier as I backed away from him. My eyes brimming with tears as I prepared myself for the first blow.

SMACK.

And there it was straight across my face. Then more and more came. To my ribs. My stomach, my back. Then my legs. Taking my whole body down with me. Every inch of my body felt like it was on fire. Burning and tearing apart with every little movement I tried to make to escape from this monster. Surely I'd be used to this by now. The pain wasn't something new to me. Oh god no.