Chapter 3 - 📚

——————————————————

——————————————————

    Ni-ki was leaning on Iseul's shoulder reading the book she was holding. She had picked up, "Chains" from the library yesterday since it was mandatory for advanced language arts. Ni-ki had all A's, but never did anything more than the bare minimum. As soon as she flipped the page, Ni-ki whined, "I wasn't done reading. You read way too fast."

    "How do you even know what's happening? You started halfway through the book," Iseul started, "Also, you hate historical fictions. You say they use up too much of your brain-power." Ni-ki just shrugged and flipped back to the previous page, scanning the lines. Iseul let out an exasperated sigh and slammed the book shut. "You know, you are so much smarter than you look. You can get straight hundreds without lifting a finger while I have to stay up til' two studying the previous day to get above a ninety. It's so unfair that people like you don't put in just that little bit extra effort to solidify yout future. If you just took a few advanced classes, then you would be set for college with a scholarship." Apparently, by just shrugging Ni-ki had struck a nerve. Ni-ki could see her eyes shaking.

Iseul had always been that mostly calm but spits fire every once in a while person and Ni-ki knew how to deal with it.

    "I think we should skip school today."

    Iseul took a few moments to register what he said.

    "Are you fucking kidding me?"

Sometimes his ways of dealing with it were a little unconventional.

    As soon as she realized that Ni-ki was in fact, not kidding, she took a few deep breaths.

    "At the next stop, we can get out and try those electric scooters that I've never seen anyone ride before."

    "You do realize that if I skipped school, then I would be counted as absent?"

    "...Yes? That's kind of the point? You are just a little bit too stressed out. You need to decompress."

    "Getting behind on school work will not allow me to decompress."

    "I will not let you go unless you agree to this." Ni-ki grabbed her wrist and held it tightly. Iseul looked at him disgustedly.

    "Oh. Did you want me to hold your hand?" Ni-ki slid his hand down into hers. Iseul rolled her eyes but didn't fail to notice the size difference between their hands.

———

"Do you have any spare change?"

Iseul deadpanned, "Are you serious? You were the one who wanted to skip school and you're making me pay for your stupid scooter?"