Chapter Five

"Kat! Kat, wait up!" Peter Parker ran full speed down the hallway, muttering a sorry to every foot he stepped on. As he made his way to where Kat's locker was, he stumbled and tripped over someone, landing face-first on the floor.

"Woah, Parker, you good?" Kat stood from where she was leaning against her locker, offering a hand to Peter who gratefully took it.

"Yeah, sorry, I forgot to do the English homework. Can you give me the answers?"

He had expected a serious response from her but instead got laughed at. "This is why I tell you to get a planner. It helps you get more organized." Beginning to open her locker, Kat wore a smile on her face.

"Please. I really need your help, and if I don't get it in one time, Ms. Harding is gonna kill me." The noise of lockers slamming shut behind him caused a surge of anxiety to rush through Peter. He was gonna be late if she didn't hurry up.

"Yeah, sure, but you owe me a coffee." Kat handed him her paper, closing her locker as they began walking down the hall.

"Seriously?"

"I'm not joking, I'll take it back right here and right now."

Kat stood in place, waiting for an answer. The minute bell rang. Huffing, Peter agreed. "Fine, but we have to hurry."

The two would laugh this moment off later. How clueless they were to what would happen to their normal teenage days.

Well, they weren't all clueless. Kat had still seen her friend get killed in front of her in Russia, and Peter had still gotten bitten by a spider, giving him insane superpowers. Yet, the two best friends hadn't told each other about these things, so they would remain with the feeling of being alone.

Sitting down as the bell rang, they both relaxed in their seats as their history teacher started to play clips from World War II. Kat rested her head on Peter's shoulder, feeling herself longing for sleep. With a new job and keeping up with school, she felt exhausted 24-7. But, she had to pay her rent, so it would have to do for now.

As soon as Peter felt her head hit his shoulder, he tensed up. He felt butterflies enter his stomach at the thought of her touch. It wasn't his fault; he just had a stupid crush.

Sure Peter, a stupid crush that's lasted for years. He was so delusional.

Either way, he couldn't help himself from resting his chin on her head, zoning out the stupid lecture. He didn't expect her to let him, but she was just so tired that she didn't seem to care.

Only when the bell rang again half an hour later did the two groggy fifteen-year-olds get up. Yawning, Peter stretched himself out as he leaned into Kat's side. "Hey, wanna come to my place later? We can do some homework or something."

"I- uh, Parker, I'm sorry I have work." She said, rolling her tongue against her cheek.

"Yeah, yeah, that's fine. You're a babysitter, right?" He grabbed his bag and began to walk to his locker to get his things for the next period.

"Mhm, babysitter, that's me." Kat resisted the urge to rub the back of her neck or play with the ends of her fingers, as she wanted the lie to come off as smoothly as possible.

"Oh, okay, I'll see you around then."

"See you around, Parker." And then they were off. Little did they know, they wouldn't see each other for quite some time.

⧗ ⧗ ⧗

Remember that work I mentioned? How Kat had lied about being a babysitter? Well, she wasn't working with kids, but rather with vigilantes who wanted to harm people.