Chapter Thirty

"Bruce gave him a sedative. He's gonna probably be out for the rest of the day."

"You guys take care of him... and I'll bring him a Xorrian elixir when I come back." Carol walked out of the room. Damn, that girl really had some ego.

"Where are you going?" Kat wheeled herself next to Natasha, who absentmindedly started to play with her hair.

"To kill Thanos."

Kat turned to her mother, scrunching her eyebrows. "Is she serious?"

Natasha shook her head, sighing. "I hope not."She turned to Steve. "Can you take care of this situation? I'll be back soon, I just need to have a talk with my daughter."

A talk? This couldn't be good.

Steve nodded, already heading in the direction Carol had gone in. "I'll meet you in your room in a minute, I need to grab something first."

"Uh... which direction is that in again?"

Natasha laughed. "Down the hall, second door on your right."

"Thanks."

⧗ ⧗ ⧗

Kat rocked herself back and forth on her bed as she drummed her hands in her lap. She had been waiting over half an hour for Natasha to come to meet her, and she was getting bored.

Just when she was going to give up hope, her door creaked open to reveal the blonde in front of her. Kat groaned internally as Natasha started to sing happy birthday in Russian, holding a small cake in front of her.

"Did you think I'd forget?" She held the cake out towards Kat, who blew out the candle.

Kat took the cake and placed it down on the desk. "I honestly hoped so."

Natasha laughed and smiled. "So... what'd you wish for? Something good, I hope."

"If I tell you, it won't come true."

"Eighteen is a big year, you know." Natasha looked to the ground and shrugged. "I know with everything going on it's difficult to think that. Thanos is still out there, and this fight isn't over yet."

"Did you hear anything from Steve and Carol about what's going to happen?"

Natasha nodded her head. "Later tonight I'll meet with them. We found his location and tracked him. Kat, he used the stones again."

"To do what?"

"I don't know. Something bad. As I said, we're leaving tonight."

"We as I get to come, too?" Kat's voice was so full of hope, even though she knew it would never happen.

Her mother laughed, pointing to the cake sitting abandoned on the desk. "Eat and go to bed. You're too sick for space travel."

"But-"

"I don't want to hear it. Understood?"

Kat rolled her eyes, grabbing the cake and shoving a piece in her mouth. "Yes, mother dearest."

⧗ ⧗ ⧗

Even though it had taken quite a few hours, Kat had finally found it in herself to fall asleep. Not to say that her dreams were pleasant in any way.

A dark silhouette stood in the center of the room, twirling herself in a circle. She held a pink bunny in her hands, the head falling off halfway.

That silhouette was Kat. She was four at the time. Somehow, when she was a baby, she had managed to get her hands on the stuffed rabbit and could never put it down.

She had been careful to never let herself get caught with it on her, however. She knew if she was she would lose it.

She danced in the empty ballet room on her own, holding the bunny close to her chest. While the other girls had gone to bed, she had insisted she would keep practicing for another hour. That hour had turned into ten.

"Ekaterina?" The door in front of Ekaterina creaked open, and she was quick to throw the stuffed animal to the side. She didn't know where it landed, but she hoped it wasn't in plain sight.

"Madame B." Ekaterina slightly bowed her head, showing her respect to the older woman.

"Child, why are you still up? Explain yourself."

"Madame, I was practicing."

"Mhm." Madame B. paced the room, walking over to the rack of ballet shoes. "Then why are these still sitting here?"

"Um..." Ekaterina shrugged, she didn't know how to explain herself. "I forgot to put them on."

Madame B. shook her head. "I thought you were better than this." She walked to the other end of the room, where the bunny sat. In plain sight. "A toy. It's disgraceful, really."

She took the bunny with harsh hands, giving it to a security officer who was stationed outside the door. "Burn it." She turned back to Ekaterina and sighed. She knelt in front of the girl, and for a minute it seemed she was going to be apologetic. "I never want to see anything like this again, or I will have no choice but to kill you."

Ekaterina nodded, looking at the ground. Madame B. smiled and stood, turning towards the door. "Your training starts tomorrow."

"My training? Madame, I already do ballet."

"No, ballet was a beginner skill. I want you to learn how to shoot a gun."