Chapter Six

"Let's start with something basic. What's your name?"

"Taylor Swift."

"Cut the act, it's not cute. Let's try again, what's your name?" Kat was determined not to let her guard down, even if it got her in a lot of trouble. She had calculated that in the long term, it may help her survive in this desolate place.

Hours later, after the S.H.I.E.L.D agents gave up on interrogating her, she was guided back to her cell in the Avengers tower. The room was bleak, the walls a shade of grey, the bars of steel rusted. She was surprised, assuming Tony Stark had used his millionaire brain to afford something better, but not.

Sitting down in the corner, Kat rested her chin in her hands. Everything was going fine- she'd been doing well with rent lately, kept her grades up, and managed to keep Peter out of his bullying situation at school, but then this happened and everything got screwed up.

Oh Thor, Peter. What would he think if he saw her here? Would he be surprised or would he say he had noticed something was very off with her from the beginning?

Her thoughts were interrupted by the sound of metal clanging against metal. Looking up, Kat spotted a pretty redhead. She knew who she was better than she knew her own reflection.

"I thought you'd want something to eat." Passing the metal tray through the bars, Kat observed the food on the plate. A piece of toast smeared with butter, probably warm, and a little thing of green beans. She wasn't one to complain, but prison food sucked.

"Thanks," she managed to muster out, resting her head on the wall behind her. Hopefully, that would be enough to get the oh-so-famous Black Widow to go away.

Fiddling with the ends of her fingernails, Natasha nodded. "Sure, you're welcome. Can I ask- why did you do it? I mean kill all those people in the building with your bombs. Surely you must have a good reason."

"Stark send you down here to interrogate me? He knows it won't work."

"Mm, no, I'm just genuinely curious as to what gives someone the idea to kill innocent children in an orphanage."

"Orphanage? What do you mean an orphanage?"

"You seriously don't know?" The Black Widow, Natasha, questioned her. Kat shook her head. "It was an orphanage. Most made it out okay, but you probably killed twenty people, the oldest being fourteen."

Fourteen? That was almost as old as her. She couldn't help but think if it was Peter in the fourteen-year-old's situation. Would she still have killed everyone in that building if she knew he was inside?

Stupid question. Of course, she wouldn't, he was her best friend. But why did that make it okay to kill innocent people? "I needed the rent money. I didn't know who was inside that building when I did it."

"Your parents can't cover it themselves?"

Clicking her tongue, Kat shook her head. "It's just not that simple. Things are just complicated right now, and I could use any extra cash I could get my hands on." What did this girl expect? For an ex-widow, she was doing fairly well at living a normal life.

Yet, to someone like her, it would never be enough. "Listen, there's a war coming, so you might want to get out of here. I'm not saying you should escape, but with skills like yours, you could do great things."

Natasha stood up, looking down at the food next to Kat. "Eat something. Sleep. You'll need it."

⧗ ⧗ ⧗

Wanda Maximoff held her head in her hands as she watched Steve Rogers, the famous Captain America, pace around the room at a rapid pace. He didn't know how he would get away without signing the accords. Sure, they had assembled a team equal to the one on Tony's side, but with the government hunting them down, their chances were getting very slim.

"Steve, stop." Wanda ushered, tugging at his arm. "This isn't helping anyone else, it's just making us more stressed. Relax."

"How can I stop? We don't have a chance. Guys, our team sucks. Bucky, you're strong, and Wanda, you have great potential, but other than that, we have a bird and an insect. We're nothing."

"Hey, that hurts!" The insect, who refers to himself as Ant-Man, yelled back.

"Steve," Bucky, The Winter Soldier, pressed his hand on Steve's shoulder. "We don't have anything. You might want to check this out." He passed the tablet that Falcon, the bird, had been using over to him.

"Reports are coming in on a hooded vigilante who reportedly killed dozens of children in an orphanage with the use of bombs. It is told that she is being kept in the Avengers Tower under Tony Stark's supervision."

Passing the tablet back, Steve rested his chin in his hands. "This is our way out, Steve. We have to try."

Biting the inside of his cheek, he nodded. "Oh, we'll do so much more than try."