s. wilson + trapped in an elevator

"we gonna talk about it?"

you launch away from your corner, ignoring the cocky way sam leans against the wall of your torture box. your finger punches some of elevator buttons, and, similar to the last fifteen minutes you've been stuck here, it accomplishes nothing. "talk about what, sam?"

"are you in denial?"

you drop your bag to the ground, rifling through it to find something to wedge through the door. "i don't even know what you're—"

"do you need a reminder?"

you spring back up, twisting to see sam now within arm's reach. his hands dig inside his pockets, giving him a more boyish and vulnerable posture that makes your chest surge.

you shouldn't have kissed him, that other night.

but after an entire evening of charming strangers, laughing at jokes and making plenty of his own, giving people hope and looking like that in a suit, it had amazed you that sam still walked you to your car at the end of the night. put his jacket on your shoulders to keep you warm. reserved one last smile just for you.

sam's expression softens. "i wanna talk about it."

you shrug defensively. "it was just a stupid kiss."

"right, but you kissed me—"

a huff.

"—so i wanna make sure," he continues, equally stubborn, "is that all you wanted? just a stupid kiss?"

as warm as they are, you can't bear another second of looking into sam's eyes. your head falls, your heart too, when you stare at your feet. "of course not." you weakly kick his shoe. "but do you know how cliché it is to have a crush on captain america?"

"now that i'm captain america, it's kind of refreshing." sam doesn't touch you at all, but his next step has your heated body brushing against the cool metal doors. "i want more, too."

"oh," you say to the floor, concealing your panicky smile. "i—sam."

"yeah?"

"can we focus on the elevator situation first?"

"right." he nods, glancing at the rows of buttons, punching one or two to no avail.

"then we can..." god, what are you even saying?

"talk about it?"

you watch that big smile grow on his face and imagine more than just talking. "yeah."