stuck (s. wilson x f!reader)

"what are you doing up there, baby?"

you know immediately by the voice that it's your sam, meaning you get to keep your eyes calmly trained on the horizon—where some people at this fancy mansion party are already returning to their cars. "i was looking for you."

earlier, you arrived together, but he's just so busy.

luckily, when it comes down to it, you're a decent conversationalist. you can pick out details and juggle them around in your mind until it's finally your turn to speak, and then you ask thoughtful questions to prove you were listening. plus, you've figured out some interesting stories of your own to tell.

but initiating conversation with a stranger is where you draw the line. so, for most of tonight, you wandered the nearly empty grounds, munching on little sandwiches and sipping your drink.

eventually, this particular tree spoke to you. thick and sturdy, its branches split off relatively low to the ground. it made sense to just climb and disappear for a while.

"but then i got caught up in just watching," you say, purposely light.

sam chuckles, slipping his hands into his pockets. "well, i'd hate to ruin your fun."

you risk a half-second glance at your boyfriend. he looks small from up here, with his tie loose and a smirk on his face. "fun fact about me, sammy?"

"hmm?"

your tight throat tries to level out the tremors in your confession: "never climbed a tree before."

a silly, slightly buzzed impulse. to be fair, you knew sam would come find you once he was done laying his captain america charm on everybody.

but now he laughs at you. "you're stuck."

"no." it's only a few feet. or maybe several is the better word. "i'm... contemplating the way down."

"i got you. gimme your shoes." you let your flats fall into his waiting hands.

with the rough bark underneath your bare toes and sam below, you feel much more comfortable maneuvering to the ground. you laugh breathlessly as he gives your butt a couple affectionate pats along the way, and tugs your skirt to make sure it doesn't get caught. "there's my girl."

you drape your hands around his neck as you step into your shoes, coaxing him close, sharing the warmth in your cheeks with him as the sun sets. "here i am."