baymax (s. rogers x h. cho)

"jesus, how many samples do you need?"

a particularly hard jab from helen's swab makes steve wince. withdrawing it from his mouth, she snaps it inside the petri dish with a sidelong look.

she fits the sample into the slot jutting out from the robot's soft belly. steve bites his tongue while delight flashes across helen's face.

the robot emits a faint beep. "Processing..."

"you should see him in action." she moves throughout the lab, filing her equipment into the cabinets. "baymax can assess injuries, provide first aid..." steve hates that he finds her enthusiasm endearing. "he's a remarkable piece of technology."

a scoff. "of course, if the great tadashi hamada invented him."

he's tired of hearing about this guy, some hotshot robotics engineer helen has had email correspondence with for months. today, she lugged in a red suitcase that he shipped to her, containing the most marshmallow-looking robot steve's ever seen.

but after what he's been through? steve doesn't trust robots, no matter how weirdly cute they are.

"Doctor Cho, I Am Confused," baymax says, his fat fingers wiggling.

"aw, you need to sit down, buddy?" helen slaps steve on the shoulder, failing to knock the grin off his face.

"These Cells Have Very Unique Regenerative Properties."

"yes, steve is very special," she responds flatly.

baymax's artificial intelligence could gather valuable information from studying steve's serumed cells, she had explained. he has high metabolism or something, he wasn't really paying attention.

helen busies herself with paperwork, scribbling in a way that makes steve think she isn't actually writing. "i know why you're mad at me," she murmurs. "if i could move tadashi's summit, i would."

he sighs.

it's not her fault he's in a prickly mood, but it seems like steve only ever gets a couple days with her before either he jets off for the next mission or she shares her research elsewhere.

"you planned the party." he means to shrug, yet his shoulders remain tense knowing how much time she'll spend with that hamada guy. "i just wish you were there to enjoy it."

she laughs. "the important thing is that you enjoy it, birthday boy."

he doesn't know how he will, if she's not there.

still, he sucks in a breath. "you gonna miss me, cho?" a boost of confidence sparks in his chest when helen starts to trip over a cheeky response.

but then, baymax interrupts her: "Captain Rogers, Doctor Cho's Assessment Is Correct. You Are Very Special."