III. In the brink of death

WARNING: Bloody scenes ahead.

PS: If you dare attack me on how Gods was perceived in this story, may I remind you that this story is a work of fiction.

The classroom was quiet, only the sound of the teacher talking about literature could be heard as well as hushed chattering of the students talking about the topic or drifted attention from something else

The classroom was quiet, only the sound of the teacher talking about literature could be heard as well as hushed chattering of the students talking about the topic or drifted attention from something else. A student near the window scribbled to his notes as he tapped his shoes to the legs of his desk. Unlike his other peers who sometimes eat candies secretly while the teacher is not looking, Shin is hungry.

Sighing, Shin placed his pen on his deck, throwing a glance to the outside of the classroom's window. Sakura trees were blooming although even with their beauty, people below didn't seem to appreciate them because of their busyness. Students below are in their respective PE outfits, blue longsleeves with white and black straight lines on their sleeves paired with blue pants with the same design. They're doing jumping jacks, a teacher in a white shirt was there to supervise them, holding a whistle.

But what's more intriguing about the scene before him is a small creature beside a female student mimicking the exercise. It's size is like that of a puppy, it has long puffy brown fur, dog paws, a fluffy tail and plump cheeks. But what makes it far more different than a dog is that it looks like a racoon, with dark fur wraps around their eyes. The creature is a tanuki. It doesn't seem to pose harm because it seems happy doing its exercise routine.

Shin focused his gaze on the tanuki only to notice that it emits a faint yellow aura that connects to the female student behind it. It seems to be attached to the female student who seems oblivious to the creature with her.

It's either this tanuki haunts this female or it guards her.

Clichè as it may seems to other humans, not all youkai harms people, there's youkais who is friendlier than normal humans or there's others who are just mischievous or playful, although they may leave you in an embarrassing situation if they see you seemed fit to be cursed. Tanukis are one of those playful creatures but they are also creatures who value trust.

The tanuki that's in the school right now seems young, a hundred years old probably, that's Shin estimation and it can only mimic a form of a child.

Sighing once again, Shin closed his notebook. "As long as this guy won't pose any harm to anybody, then it can stay, " he whispered, still staring at the creature who's now doing a stretching.

Moments later, Shin caught the tanuki staring at him, it blinked repeatedly as if it's shocked that he could see it. It danced, shaking its hips to make sure that his attention was really on it. Shin didn't show any expression on his face, he also faked yawning to cover himself so that he could see the creature. Normal youkai or those weak ones will not be able to smell his true scent, they'll just see him as a clairvoyant or a shaman.