𝐕. 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐏𝐚𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐎𝐟 𝐎𝐮𝐫 𝐂𝐫𝐚𝐟𝐭

══════⊹⊱≼≽⊰⊹══════

"... Professor? Professor Finch? Edith?"

Edith blinked, eyes darting over to where Hermione stood beside her, a hand on her shoulder and a worried frown on her face.

"Hermione! Sorry, I think I spaced out for a bit." Edith smiled slightly, blinking away the dull headache behind her eyes, rolling her shoulders and straightening out her jacket.

Hermione, however, didn't seem overly convinced. "I've been calling your name for the last two minutes. The class is starting, are you sure you're alright? You looked... really out of it."

Edith looked around, seeing an empty hallway. They stood outside the door to McGonagall's classroom, standing just outside the ajar door.

"It's the nerves. I didn't get that much sleep last night. I've... been worrying about the tournament, actually." Edith shook her head. "Nevermind that, come on. Let's not keep Minerva waiting any longer, hm?" The woman placed an arm on her shoulder, smiling at her before they walked into the classroom.

Hermione smiled back, but it was forced. She'd always had a tendency to worry about the people around her more than herself, or so her dad had said once.

"Ah, Miss Granger, Professor Finch. Nice of you to finally join us. Miss Granger, take your seat please." McGonagall watched them over her spectacles, but Edith shrugged apologetically, letting her arm fall from Hermione's back as she nodded, quickly finding a seat beside Harry and Ron.

Edith moved to the Professor's desk, taking her wand out and holding it between her palms, settling in as McGonagall began her lesson.

"Today, we will begin with the Colour Changing Charm. To follow along with Professor Finch's explanation, would all of you please turn to page ninety-five in your textbook." McGonagall requested, taking a seat and picking up a quill, beginning to scribble on a piece of parchment she was working on.

Edith pushed off of the desk, coming to stand at the front of the rows and rows of desks, watching as the fourth years flicked through their books, eventually, they found the desired page, holding it open and looking back up at the Professor, who now had a petite, ivory owl on her arm.

The girl swallowed, clearing her throat. "The incantation for this charm is quite simple. Colovaria. Be sure to emphasis the 'ree' sound near the end of the word. The good thing about this spell, is that the name is extremely close to what the spell actually affects. The 'colour' of something."

The class were silent, and someone coughed. Rhea trilled to herself. Edith's eyes flickered over to the trio, who were urging her on with small gestures and reassuring smiles.

Edith continued, pushing through the awkwardness she felt. Teaching in front of just McGonagall or a first year class was easier than teaching in front of an older class by herself. Were they bored? What if they didn't listen to her? Would McGonagall think her incompetent?

No, she just had to keep talking, the more fun she made the lesson, the more they would want to come back. The more they would respect the brilliant subject she had devoted her education to.

Edith wished she had asked Remus how he made it look so easy, but that was a subject for her next letter.

"Uh... well, what's fascinating to me, is that the spell doesn't need any actual word accompanying the incantation to change what it does. Turning this sweet owl luminous green requires the same incantation than if I wanted to make it a shade of purple. Like this,"

Edith raised her wand, spreading out her arm. Rhea perched on her elbow, twitching her wings calmly as the tip of Edith's wand rested on her head.

"Colovaria."