VII

25TH NOVEMBER 2021
KARTER MONAE HENDERSON
OMNISCIENT
BROOKLYN, NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK
14:02PM

—————

forgiveness is a process - @samariajdavis

—————

As the light turned red, Karter slowed down her car and took a bite of her bacon, gouda and egg sandwich. She placed the half-eaten sandwich back in the Starbucks bag before letting the window down some, allowing the cold November breeze to come in.

Noticing the light was due to turn green, Karter took another quick bite of her sandwich and then focused all of her attention on the rest of her journey.

'Don't run' by PARTYNEXTDOOR played as the young girl found herself in the familiar residential area. She passed multiple houses before arriving at her destination and parking on the street, noticing there were already two cars in the driveway.

She took her keys before taking the Starbucks bag out the cup holder region of the car and reached for the cream Marc Jacobs Tote bag which sat in the passenger seat.

She got out of her car, before walking up the short pathway to the house. Since the house would be extremely busy today, Karter simply walked through, knowing that her aunt left the door open.

She walked to the living room, deciding to quickly greet whoever had come over. As she walked in, her 'cousin' Jh'ream turned around, a happy expression soon taking over her face once she saw Karter.

"Hey Karter" the sixteen year old girl said as Karter walked around and gave her a warm hug before placing her bag down.

"Hey girl, how you been?" she asked, finding herself playing with the girls hair.

For as long as Karter could remember, Jh'ream had always had long hair; since it was a lot colder, she had gotten a silk press which was currently styled in a half up half down manner.

"Good" she responded dryly.

"You sure?" Karter pried causing the young girl to nod; she made a mental note to ask her mom if everything was okay.

"Where your brothers at?" Karter asked, referring to Jh'ream's young brothers, Josiah and Jason.

"They in Amir's room doing sum', ion know" she said, making Karter laugh slightly since she knew he would complain about that as soon as her arrived.

"Imma go to the kitchen, I'll be back" she said, making Jh'ream nod and return back to whatever she was doing on her phone.

Karter took her phone out of her bag before walking out the living room. The smell of food intensified as she made the short journey to the kitchen revealing both of her aunts, Imani and Jay.

Aunt Jay wasn't necessarily a family member but Imani and her had been friends since they were kids and the families had become really close.

"Karter" Jay dragged out as she ran from the other side of the island, rushing to give her niece a tight hug.

"Hi aunty" she said as she walked over to one of the barstools after the hug finished.