Who is Alpha

I found the most worn dress in the trunk. Tossing it to him. "Rip this up for me."

He obediently wrenched it into pieces. Grunting with the effort it took. And making his wound bleed more profusely.

I snatched up a few of the long strips. "Sit up."

He groaned, lurching into a sitting position.

I scooted onto my knees next to him. Winding the makeshift bandage around his torso and over his shoulder. Tightening it along the back to hold the wound shut. "Do you know someone that can sew this shut?"

"Would you like me to find you a needle?"

"I'd have no idea how to do that!"

"Nor would anyone else in this castle. So, you'd do as well as anyone else." He rubbed his thumb and one fingertip together purposefully. Giving me a long look.

Something silver began sliding up between those fingertips.

A needle.

Oh, no.

***

I chewed my lip and gave him a worried look. Yanking it from his hand. "Does your magic always bring about bad things?"

I'd meant as teasing, but my fear had made it sound severe.

"No." His smirk vanished. "BailaLae taught me some stuff other than just darkness."

"Really?" I leaned forward, intrigued. "Like what?"

He closed his eyes and drew a long breath. As if he were connecting with his sister. He lifted a clenched fist before us and slowly opened his fingers.

For a heartbeat there was nothing.

Then I saw fingers of vines climbing up the posts of the headboard. Winding like thing green snakes which reached the top in several coils before casting blossoms all along its length which bloomed into pretty pink and white flowers. Gasping I looked around the room and saw the same thing happening up every wall and clambering over the furniture. Blooming everywhere until the dim room seemed brighter alive with plants like some sacred garden.

"Beautiful..." I murmured.

He was quiet. When I looked down, he was staring at me.

"I've seen things more so." He remarked.

I gave him a searching study but wasn't quite sure.

***

I fell asleep that night on one edge of the bed and he on the other, wearing one of BailaLae's nightdresses from the chest. But sometime during the night I heard him make a pained sound and realized that I'd rolled over and had my head resting on his shoulder and had apparently brushed across one of his wounds.

"I'm sorry." I whispered. Rising up and attempting to roll back the other direction. But before I could twist, his hand caught the side of my head and pressed it back down on the further edge of his shoulder. Holding firmly and stroking the top of my ear with his finger.

"Get some rest." He directed.

To my surprise, I did. In moments I was out. Fast asleep and absorbing his warmth.

He breathed steadily but I sensed he wasn't sleeping.

I wondered if he'd give anything I'd said a second thought. If he doesn't, I'll have to do it all on my own.

***

I awoke to the sound of him barking commands. I sat bolt upright. Heart pounding because of the urgency in his directives. But a quick scan of the tower chamber revealed it wasn't coming from inside. I dug around in the chest and found one of his sister's wraps, quickly pulling it on. Then cracking the secret door out onto the balcony. I edged out there, staying as far from the railing as possible.

To keep from sight. But standing on my toes, I was able to see the Training Gardens below.

For the first time since I'd been here, Warlord was down amidst their ranks. Telling someone to hold their hands higher. Yelling at another for more precision. Telling them when to lift and when to release arrows which somehow magically flew from their hands into trees that'd been marked as targets.

"Down!" Warlord commanded. Making all their hands fall simultaneously. "Reload."

They rounded as a unit. Swiping up their next arrows and taking aim.

I watched, curious.

When he gave the order for them to release, they weren't firing from a bow. Instead, they were blowing the arrows from their palms. Sending them careening toward the trees at speeds I'd never seen them ejected from an arrow.

Far more dangerous.

***

As I watched them all taking Warlord's orders, I observed how the mages were responding to him.

The men looked anxious. Watching him carefully for any nuances in his behavior. Twitching every time he moved a bit too quickly.

Like beaten pups.

Wary of being put down. And I was sure that essentially, that's exactly what they were.

The women were looking at him through hooded eyes. Taking in his tall lean figure and stealing glances at him whenever they thought he might not notice.

I couldn't blame them for that. Haven't I been guilty of just such a thing on numerous occasions.

Still, I felt a slight pang of worry. Wondering how many of the women he might have lain with.

How many he's been intimate with?

From the looks they were casting him, it seemed that plenty were willing.

But I noticed one that was staring at him with blatant animosity. The hint of contempt whitened her lips and made her mouth tight, every time he walked past her.

A pretty, petite, brunette. With hatred written over her face.

What'd he do to her?

After he'd given several commands, he turned to her and gestured her for her to take over.

Take over command? I was stunned that he was asking a female to. Especially one that didn't seem particularly willing to obey him, herself.

What does she have on him, that he's deferring to her? I found I had wandered closer to the railing then I meant to. And my hands were gripping it in a white-knuckled grip.

I was logical enough to remind myself that I had no hold on him, no claim to him and no business feeling even the slightest bit possessive or jealous of him showing respect to another female.

Stop it. I told myself. Ripping myself away from the sight and forcing myself to go back in. He doesn't belong to you.