Unchained

It was early morning. And the day was blue and bright. With the hint of a steamy fog still lurking just above the ground.

I could hear the other mages down in the Training Gardens.

Tanya came over to put a hand on my shoulder. "Are you ready for today?"

"Ready as I'll ever be."

"Warlord told me how you got the book. That was really brave."

I gave her a sideways glance. "Thank you."

She had softened much just in the last few days.

I suspected, though I knew she'd never admit it, that was in-part because of the presence of Rampage up here.

The man who, even now, watched her like a meal he intended to consume.

I glanced over and saw him leaning against the wall. One booted foot flat against the wall behind him. One arm draped leisurely across his stomach while the other thoughtfully stroked his dimpled chin beneath that fall of reddish hair surrounding his face in shadows. His gaze intense as he watched Tanya's every movement.

I wonder if Killian watches me like that. I glanced over at him and saw he was talking to Willow. Crouched before her and keeping his eyes somewhere over her shoulder as they discussed in hushed voices, how we'd maneuver out of here. His arms swayed as he pointed in different directions. Drawing attention to the wide silver bracer's wrapping them. Making his tanned skin seem much darker. The metal matched the rings surrounding his wide brown biceps.

He'd explained to me that those were intended to deflect blades aimed for his shoulders. His dark hair was pulled back into a tight tether and he wore a dark blue tunic cinched with a wide leather belt. Making him seem far larger than I'd ever realized. His chest straining the fabric in-front.

I knew what he was telling Willow. He'd give her commands and it was she that would guide many of the males.

Because they're less inclined to betray her. I understood the cleverness in that.

"You were brave to, to come at Killian. It may've been for the wrong reasons, but it was still bold."

She's strong.

She smiled.

"Thanks." She glanced over. "I'm glad I didn't though."

Less didn't. And more couldn't. I snorted.

"What?" She blinked.

"I'm glad he didn't kill you."

"Me too." She said cheerfully. Turning fully to me. "Tell me something?"

"Yes?"

"Is that man still watching me?"

"Always." I smiled as I peered over her shoulder to see Rampage's gaze burning over her. "He looks half-ready to eat you alive."

"He's always like that." She groaned under her breath. "Super intense."

"Looks like he's only that way with you."

"To tell you the truth, he scares the hell out of me."

My eyes drifted to Killian again. Remembering when I'd felt like that about him. Just a short month ago. "You might be surprised how fast that can change."

***

"Rampage." Killian called. Putting his hand on the door.

The redheaded giant wandered over to grip the handle with him. Hunkering his shoulder and rolling his head to pop it several times as if loosening the muscles. Then he steadied.