Chapter 5: "A Call to the Principal's Office"

LIFE WITHIN THE HALLS

Sandra

Wednesday, February 11th, 8:20 a.m.

Three days into a new semester at Bel-Air's Hill Academy, and I had seen it all: disaster! The head cheerleader's dead, the vanishing act of Daniel Blay... though he miraculously reappeared a day later. Not to mention the bizarre collapse of the founder's granddaughter in class. What could possibly be worse than that?

Jayden Scott, donning a nose mask, fell into step beside me as I waded through the throng of students entering the school building. "You dared slap me yesterday. Do you even know what you've gotten yourself into? Do you have any idea who I am?" he ranted. He absolutely deserved that slap.

"I'll slap you again if you keep on following me like a lunatic with that nose mask," I snapped, my eyes flashing with irritation as I shooed him away with a dismissive wave of my hand.

"You're clueless with all your women empowerment vibes. I'm an influencer, forgotten?" he retorted, tossing his nose mask into a nearby trash can. "If I had taken it off earlier, the girls would've flocked to me." He followed closely behind me, matching my brisk pace as we ascended the stairs to the school principal's office on the second floor. I had received an email to come to the Principal's Office, that was why I was there. But him?

I half-turned with my arms crossed. "That's none of my business. Don't you have class to attend, Mr. Influencer?" I rolled my eyes.

"Yeah, I have a class... in the principal's office since you reported me," he said, trying to peer into the glass door to the principal's office.

"Keep quiet and leave me alone, I didn't report you to the principal," I said, grasping the doorknob.

Jayden pushed the door open. "You're kidding me." He pointed an accusatory finger at Victoria, who sat straight-backed in one of the chairs. "Did you report me to Principal Wilson? I told you I'm not the one who recorded and posted your video."

The Principal's office was a spacious room with a large, sturdy wooden desk in the middle. A nameplate reading "Principal Wilson" sat prominently on the desk. There were four comfortable chairs in front of the desk and a shelf displaying awards and photos on the wall.

Victoria stood up. "What? I didn't do anything," she said.

"Fuck off!" he yelled.

"Anyway, why are you two here? Did you get an email?" Victoria asked, curiosity lacing her tone.

"Yes!" Jayden and I responded in unison.

"Did you two do something bad? I can't be called to the principal's office with you two," Victoria said defensively.

"Are you some deity or what?" Jayden quipped. "I didn't do anything... unless you or Sandra reported me."

"I didn't report you!" I and Victoria exclaimed simultaneously, our voices overlapping in the office.

Principal Wilson walked in. "Sorry for keeping you waiting," he apologized for being late. He was dressed in a sharp navy suit, accentuated by a white shirt and a red tie.

"It's nothing, Principal Wilson. You owe no one an apology," Victoria said calmly, and I looked at her, shaking my head. She was definitely one who would do anything to please those in authority.

The principal adjusted his glasses. "You're 1, 2, 3," he counted us with his finger. "Where's the fourth student?"

"Fourth student!?" The three of us exclaimed together.

The door to the Principal's office was suddenly yanked open. Jayden, Victoria, and I turned to see who it was. Our faces morphed into frowns of disapproval upon seeing the visitor. Except for me.

"Gideon, how are you?" I asked. "I didn't see you again after Daniel was found yesterday." He seemed bothered by something and didn't notice me or anyone in the room.

"Gideon! Gideon!" I shook him, bringing him back to reality.

"Why are you three here?" he asked, glancing at us. "Did you all get the email too?"

"Yes, they did!" the principal replied him. "You all have a seat."

The four of us took our seats in front of the principal, and he handed each of us a brown envelope.

Gideon was the first to open his. "Yay! I was first in the math test again," he exclaimed after reading through the white papers in the envelope. I could feel he was feigning cheerfulness.

"Yes! You four are the best four junior year students in the math test! Congratulations!" Principal Wilson praised us.

Gideon chuckled. "Does this mean Sandra is in the top four? Is this a joke?"

"What do you mean by that, Mr. Vanderbilt?" The principal inquired.

"I don't want to sound offensive to Sandra, but she started her test late," Gideon explained. "How come she's in the top four? I—"

"Are you doubting my intelligence?" I interjected. "I thought we were friends. Is that how friends act?" I might not have had the appearance of someone fit to be smart, but I had the intellect to rival anyone, even more than my sister.

"Um... I'm sorry, you misunderstood me," he apologized.

Jayden sighed. "Looks like we have a female Einstein in our school now," he teased. "Someone's feeling threatened." He shot a sly glance at Gideon.

"Mr. Scott," Principal Wilson warned with a stern face.

Jayden raised his hands. "Kidding, kidding. You know I'm kidding, right, Sandra?"

I didn't find it amusing.

"Now listen to me!" Principal Wilson commanded our attention. "You four performed exceptionally well on the test, especially Ms. Wilmer, considering she started late. As a reward, you four will have free periods from regular classes for a week and be on your own in the prefect roo—"

Victoria coughed, interrupting. "With all due respect, Principal Wilson, the prefect room is for student leaders only, and I'm the only one among the four of us here who has the right to access it."

"I understand, but we're in the process of arranging a new room for the prefects, so you don't have to worry, Ms. Hill," he reassured her. "Any more questions?"

The four of us shook our heads, exchanging glances.

"Then, you may take your leave now, my dear students," Principal Wilson said warmly. "Remember, unity is strength. Teamwork is very important."