Chapter 16: "I'm watching YOU FOUR!"

LIFE WITHIN THE HALLS

Sandra

Friday, 13th February, 9:53 a.m.

When Victoria and I had left Jayden and Gideon in the prefect room, we went to the cafeteria for breakfast snacks. Victoria chose yogurt with granola, and I opted for sliced apple with peanut butter.

"Will you come to tomorrow's party?" I asked Victoria as we emerged from the cafeteria, striding down the hallway where students rushed to class. Breakfast was over three minutes ago.

"Party?" Her lips pursed. "You're hosting a party tomorrow?"

"Nah! It's the Valentine's Day party hosted by the school," I replied.

She chuckled. "There's nothing like parties in this school, though there used to be," she said.

I grabbed her arm to halt her pace. "Look!" I pointed to her left, where a red-designed poster was on the wall.

She reluctantly paused, turning to follow my gaze. "Seriously?" she exclaimed, squinting as she moved closer to the poster on the wall. "The School Magazine Society couldn't petition enough for a night party but settled for a daylight party. Not bad, I guess."

A voice came from behind. "We've been looking for you two, and you're here talking about the school's party," Jayden said, accompanied by Gideon. They both seemed eager to share something with us.

"Were you able to find anything about AnonymousX?" Victoria asked quickly.

"Yeah," Gideon replied. "Turns out, it's a girl."

"A girl?" I echoed, incredulous. "The one threatening Jayden is a girl?"

"Mot just any girl," Jayden said. "One of our classmates."

"And oh," Gideon added, his voice grave. "Just as I told Jayden, if I'm not mistaken, this girl who is behind the 'AnonymousX' account, is the same person responsible for the cheerleader's death, Daniel's kidnapping, and Mr. Bennett being framed."

Could a girl be capable of such acts? It was difficult for me to fathom, but in a way, it all made sense. Only a girl could kidnap Daniel and treat him with unexpected kindness, feeding him without harm. No guy would do that.

"Who do you three suspect?" I probed. "Anyone? Maybe?"

As they shared their guesses, a feeling of being watched tingled through me.

I glanced over my shoulder, and a chill swept through me. It was as though someone's eyes were drilling into the back of my head. I leaned closer to the three, my voice almost imperceptible.

"Did you guys feel that?" I asked, my words barely audible.

Gideon's brow furrowed as he scanned the quiet hallway before replying, "Feel what?"

"I'm I suppose to feel something?" Victoria looked around.

"All I feel right now is fear," Jayden said.

I ushered them all into the prefect room, firmly closing the door behind us.

"Someone's spying on us. I'm certain!"

Jayden's phone beeped, breaking the tense silence. He unlocked it and his expression darkened as he informed us it was a message from AnonymousX.

"What does the message say?" I asked urgently.

Jayden hesitated before showing us the screen.

"If you and your little investigation club don't quit trying to find my identity, I will send the video of what you did with Ella two years ago to everyone at school. Note: I'm watching YOU FOUR!"