Chapter 9: "The Meet-up"

LIFE WITHIN THE HALLS

Jayden

Wednesday, 11th February, 6:20 p.m.

On the third count, Sandra's resolve seemed to waver. She ran into my car like Cinderella running to her charming Prince.

I was a charming Prince to many girls, but she wasn't exactly Cinderella. Maybe her face could pass. Pretty enough to fit the role.

A subtle smirk played on my lips. "Did you have to keep me waiting?"

She brushed off my question, fastening her seatbelt as if I were invisible.

I overlooked her reaction, guiding the car onto the road, my hands gripping the steering wheel. With a press on the accelerator, I surged forward, the engine humming to life as I picked up speed.

Sandra really should have taken the backseat. At least then, I wouldn't catch a whiff of her intoxicating perfume.

"Can I ask you something?" she finally spoke.

I wanted to ignore her like she ignored me. But, after a second thought, I replied.

"Yeah, sure."

"Why did you try to harass me in the school basement yesterday?"

"It... it wasn't my intention. My cousin pressured me into it. She doesn't seem to like you."

Her eyebrows shot up. "I don't even know her, and she dislikes me. Oh, okay."

I glanced at her. The brown dress she wore hugged her curves, the hem riding up higher than I deemed appropriate. She had the nerve to slap me in the basement the other day, but now she seemed comfortable wearing such a revealing dress in my car. That too with no one else.

She tugged at her dress, trying to cover her thighs, and I quickly averted my gaze, chastising myself for even allowing my eyes to linger.

To shake off the uncomfortable moment, I increased the volume of the car radio.

"And now, as we celebrate Black History Month, let's reflect on the profound contributions of black artists throughout history," the radio presenter announced, followed by Nina Simone's 'To Be Young, Gifted and Black.'

I noticed Sandra moving her body to the music, tapping her feet.

"Love listening to music?" I asked, stealing a glance at her.

"Nope, not a fan of music," she replied.

"Okay," I said, steering the car into the school parking lot.

The lights surrounding the school glowed softly. I hadn't seen it at night before. Unluckily for me, I had enrolled in the school two weeks after nighttime parties were cancelled. I heard it was cancelled due to the death of a scholarship girl.

"Wow!" Sandra exclaimed.

I turned to her, halting the car. "The lights around the school? They're nice, I know."

"Not the lights." She pointed her finger in my direction, giving me a look I couldn't understand.

Was she flirting with me?

She snapped her fingers at me. "Behind you."

Behind me? I turned, only to see the Ship House. The school's dormitory for resident students, accommodating international and scholarship students of all grades.

"The night view is incredible," Sandra remarked.

"Yeah, it really is! And bloody!"

"Bloody? Why?"