Chapter One

Lord Alistair Tyrell had been ecstatic when he received a personal invitation to the Prince's first name day celebration from the King and Queen. He had been in a large used room the noble family had turned into what they called the 'family room', a room dedicated for the small close-knit family to spend time together. Most days members of the Tyrell family could be found in the room when not attending to their duties.

The journey to Kings' Landing had been a long and tiresome one but as the family's extravagant carriage pulled through the city up the stone road to the Red Keep. Maren excitedly bounced in her seat much to the annoyance of her twin brother, Marion. "Mare stop it. You're going to cause a wheel to break."

"I can't help it Rion," The young lady quickly pushed off the window and turned to her brother, red hair flying as she did so. "I'm just so excited to meet the new prince. Do you think the queen remembers how we used to play in the gardens as children before she moved to the Red Keep?"

"I don't know sister, you are quite forgettable and boring." Marion teased.

"Oh shush," the redhead slapped at the blond's arm causing the blond man to retaliate until a brawl began.

"Stop it you two!" Lord Tyrell commanded. "You two are nearly two and twenty summers old and yet you still behave like little children." turning to his wife with an exasperated look as if begging her to help him. Lady Marea Tyrell merely laughed.

"Now children," the matriarch spoke, taking pity on her husband. "We are nearly there and we must be on our best behavior when meeting the Royal family." at her words the carriage rolled to a stop in front of the largest castle Maren had ever seen.

...

Ser Otto Hightower had been the one to suggest personally inviting the Lord Paramounts and their families a day early to the festivities of Prince Aegon's name day. The king had been all to happy to listen to his loyal hand and father of his wife.

Otto had been all too happy when Lord Tyrell had responded positively, as it wasn't too long ago the man had rejected a marriage proposal between Alicent and Marion Tyrell. But now Alicent was Queen and Marion was still unwed. Otto couldn't help but feel he had won in a way.

As the Royal family lined up on the steps of the Keep to welcome their guests, a carriage pulled up. Otto could tell by the gold rose embellishments adorning the carriage that the Tyrells had arrived and he could soon rub his success in Allistair Tyrell's face.

"The Tyrells, your Majesty." Otto leaned over to whisper to the king.

Upon his words the carriage doors opened with the help of a coachman. Lord Tyrell, a tall bald man with fine lines in the corners of his eyes, stepped out first before turning around to offer his hand to his Lady wife, Marea, a short woman with auburn hair. Following his mother Marion Tyrell stepped out, a dashing young man with his father's height and mysteriously golden hair. Much like his father had done, Marion turned to offer his twin sister his hand. Maren Tyrell was a vision with flaming locks of red hair and big hazel eyes, she wore a modest green gown with gold embellishments in the shape of flowers growing at the foot of her gown and long sleeves that almost reached the floor.

Even an old man like Otto could tell the youngest Tyrell had grown into a beautiful young woman.

"Welcome," The king loudly exclaimed. "Please come in, a servant shall lead you to a room where you may freshen up. We will be having a feast and then traveling by Carriage into the forest.

...

Maren stood with the crowd surrounding Queen Alicent and the young prince. As the other highborn noble families gawked at the young babe in his mothers arms, Maren only smiled softly and covered her eyes at the prince every time he looked at her, causing the babe to giggle.

Otto Hightower stood at the other end of the room speaking to his elder brother. "Two years old and already our boy has a kingly presence."

"He may yet brother, but this morning he insisted on eating porridge with his hands."

Lord Hightower merely let out a hearty chuckle in response, "He will grow. We're quite a party assembled in his honor. And sure by the end of this hunt, we shall have more to celebrate."

And what is that, pray tell."

"It is Aegon's second name day. His infancy is behind him. It only remains for Viserys to name him heir to the throne."

"I wouldn't be so sure."

"He's the King's firstborn son."

"I don't know that His Grace sees it so clearly."

"Then it lies with you to make him see it, Lord Hand. And if you can't that pretty Tyrell girl you can't keep your eyes off would surely help."

AN: I absolutely adore Maren!!!! I almost feel bad for what she's gonna go through in this book. Whoops. 

Also Marea is pronounced like Maria and Marion is pronounced like Mare-eon. 

-ELE