Chapter Ten

The flame from the fireplace was the only light cast around Hightide's Great hall. Maren stood in her husband's arms, the older man whispering comforting words to his wife. Their three daughters stood silently at their side, still as statues as the shock settled in.

Oswald had accompanied Aemond, watching as the Prince bonded with vhagar. Oswald had followed Aemond back into the castle, the young boy was ambushed by the Princess Rhaenyra's children and Prince Daemon's daughters. Maren's only son had attempted to protect his nephew. Her young son of only six years old, her handsome boy was hit in the head with a rock. Her precious boy bled out on the floor as Prince Aemond's eye was slashed.

"Steel yourself," Otto whispered. "We must remain strong in front of the enemy."

"What enemy?" Maren asked, looking up at her husband.

Otto merely shushed her as the doors opened once more as Lord Corlys and Princess Rhaenys entered the room.

"What is the meaning of this?" Lord Corlys roared.

"Baela? Rhaena? What happened?" Princess Rhaenys asked as the two girls ran to their grandmother.

At the same time Rhaenyra entered the room calling for her sons, quickly followed by Daemon. Maren glared at the mother as she rushed to her murderous sons.

"Who did this?" The Princess asked, standing in front of her sons.

"They attacked me!" Aemond yelled, turning in his seat. All at once the children began yelling over each other.

"Enough. Enough. Silence!" Viserys yelled. "Aemond, I will have the truth of what happened." Viserys ordered, hobbling down the steps

"What more is there to hear? Your son has been maimed. My brother has been killed. Her sons are responsible."

"It was a regrettable accident." Rhaenyra spoke, defending her son.

"An accident?" Alicent repeated. ""The Prince Lucerys brought a blade to the ambush. He meant to kill my son."

"It was my son's who were attacked and forced to defend themselves. Vile insults were levied against them." Rhaenyra informed her father.

"What insults?" Viserys questioned.

"The legitimacy of my son's birth was put loudly to question." Rhaenyra explained.

"What?"

"He called us bastards." Prince Jacaerys added quietly.

"My sons are in line to inherit the Iron throne, Your Grace. This is the highest of treasons. Prince Aemond must be sharply questioned so we might learn where he heard such slanders."

"Over an insult? My son has lost an eye. Lady Tyrell's only son has died." Alicent's voice wavered.

"Aemond," Viserys continued, ignoring his wife. " I asked you a question."

"Where is Ser Laenor, I wonder? The boys' father? Perhaps he might have something to say in the matter."

"Yes, where is Ser Laenor?" Alicent had finally succeeded in distracting the king, if only for a moment.

"I do not know, Your Grace. I could not find sleep. I had gone out to walk." Maren watched as the princess fumbled for an explanation.

"Entertaining his young squires, I would venture."

"Aemond," The King began questioning the young boy yet again. "Look at me.Who spoke these lies to you?"

Maren watched as the young boy stared at his mother, and Viserys followed his line of sight, putting pieces together.

"It was Aegon." Aemond swallowed harshly.

"Me?" Shock filled Aegon's voice.

"And You boy?" The King began as he limped around to reach his eldest son. "Where did you hear such calumnies?"

At the lack of response Viserys yelled in his son's face. "Aegon! Tell me the truth of it!"

"We know, father. Everyone knows. Just look at them." At Aegon's words the crowd stared at Rhaenyra and her children.

"This interminable infighting must cease! All of you! We are family! Now make your apologies and show good will to one another. Your father, your grandsire, your King demands it!" with the stamp of his cane against the floor driving his point home, Viserys returned to his wife's side.

"That is insufficient. Aemond has been damaged, permanently, my King. Good will cannot make him whole."

"I know, Alicent, but I cannot restore his eye."

"No, because it's been taken."

"What would you have me do?"

"There is a debt to be paid. I shall have one of her son's eyes in return."

Murmurs broke out at the Queen's words. Anger burned within Maren, at the way her son's life meant nothing.

"My dear wife-" the King began.

"He is your son, Viserys. Your blood."

"Do not allow your temper to guide your judgment."

"If the King will not seek justice the Queen will. Ser Criston, bring me the eye of Lucerys Targaryen. "

"Mother!" Luke cried in fear.

"He can choose which eye, a privilege he did not grant my son."

"You will do no such thing." Rhaenyra warned, from her place in front of her sons.

"Stay your hand," Viserys ordered.

"No, you are sworn to me!" Alicent cried.

"As your protector, my Queen."

"Alicent, this matter is finished. Do you understand?" The King warned his wife, before turning to address the crowd. "And let it be known, anyone whose tongue dares to question the birth of Princess Rhaenyra's sons should have it removed."

"Thank you father."

Maren crumbled at the lack of punishment those who had killed her son faced.

"Alicent!" Viserys yelled, causing Maren to focus back into the present. .

Seeing Alicent storming her way over to the Princess, the King's dagger raised over her head.

"Stay with the King." One of the Kingsguard yelled "Do not Ser Criston!"

Maren watched as Alicent's sworn protector made his way into the crowd, Alicent and the Princess locked in a stand still, both pushing with all their might.

"Release the blade, Alicent." Otto ordered his daughter.

The two women separated, falling backwards from the force. Everyone was in shock as blood dripped from the Princess's arm.

"Do not mourn me, Mother." Prince Aemond spoke, standing from his seat. "It was a fair exchange. I may have lost an eye but I gained a dragon."

"This preceding is at an end." The King spoke, turning away from his wife.

Maren left her place beside her husband and walked through the crowd, wrapping an arm around her stepdaughter's shoulders. Ser Criston stood on the other side of the Queen. Prince Aemond stepped into his mother's embrace, pressing his face into her chest.

Otto watched with a sick satisfaction, he may have lost a son but he had just gained two powerful allies. House Tyrell and the largest dragon in the world.