Chapter Eight

Nights were a time of peace and quiet within the Hand's chambers

Nights were a time of peace and quiet within the Hand's chambers. The Husband and wife would find themselves merely enjoying each other's company most nights, as Otto read or wrote letters to who knows who and Maren sat in front of the fireplace and finished her latest project. Otto leaned back in his chair, rubbing his eyes in frustration at the latest letter from Oldtown.

Maren's voice rang out, without taking her eyes off her latest piece of work."If you continue to do that, you will look years older than you truly are."

Otto merely hummed in response as he turned to look at his young wife. Watching as her fingers worked deftly, not even hesitating in her stitch. "What are you making, Wife?"

Otto groaned as he pushed himself off his chair, his bones cracking with the sudden movement after sitting still for so long. Moving himself to sit in the arm chair besides his wife. "It is a butterfly for little Helena. She was quite taken with one when we were in the gardens the other day."

"You are good with her."

"I have always loved children."

"Do you wish to have one?" Otto asked, already picturing his wife swollen with his child. Further proof to those that she belonged to him.

Maren finally looked up from her work, staring at her husband in disbelief. "Are you offering me a child?"

"If it would make you happy."

"Your presence is enough to make me happy."

Otto opened his mouth to speak when a knock sounded from the door. "Come."

A member of the City Watch entered the room, much to Maren's confusion. She had never seen one this far into the castle. The man seemed just as shocked upon seeing Maren in the room as well. Clearing his throat the young guard turned back to the Hand of the King. "A messenger has arrived for you."

"At this hour?" Maren questioned, turning to her husband.

"Do not worry, my dear, I shall return soon."

...

When Otto once again entered his chambers, he had expected to find his young wife asleep in bed. Or maybe he had hoped. Instead he had found his wife standing by the lit fireplace, casting her shadow across the room.

"What secret have you learned, dear husband?" Maren turned from the fire to the door where her husband stood.

"I know not what you speak of," Otto dismissed his wife's question, moving further into the room where Maren stood. "The messenger was from Oldtown."

"You need not lie to me. I am your wife," Maren reached up cupping the older man's face. "I am sworn to keep your secrets and help you carry your burdens."

A moment of silence passed as Otto's mind worked tirelessly. "The princess was spotted leaving a pleasure house on the street of silk after her uncle."

"And now you must tell the King."

"Yes, though I do not know if he will believe me. This is a vile acquisition, I would be committing treason against the crown and  lose my station."

"It shall be alright, no matter what we will be alright."

...

The next day was a rainy and stormy one. Otto and Maren stood under an arch in the walls of the castle, watching as their belongings were loaded into a carriage. Soon the married couple would be traveling to Oldtown, to stay with Otto's brother and his family.

"A moment!" a sweet voice called out, gaining the attention of the married couple. The two turned around to see Alicent hurrying towards them, closely followed by a servant holding an umbrella. "I do not wish to see either of you go."

"It is the king's decision, Alicent." Maren spoke gently, approaching the young queen as if she were a spooked animal. Taking her hand in her gloved one.

"A decision I most bitterly regret."

"And yet, you made it possible." Otto finally spoke, stepping forwards to where his wife comforted his daughter. "You chose Rhaenyra."

"What is he speaking of, Alicent?" Maren questioned, she couldn't believe her friend and step daughter had been the cause of their dismissal from court.

"She swore her innocence," Alicent looked between her step mother and father, hoping one would believe and forgive her.  "And I believed her."

"You wanted to believe her, as did her father."

"Your informant was wrong. An honest mistake , perhaps, but I did not foresee this!"

"You should have."

"If you had not been so relentless in advancing Aegon as heir!"

"Listen to me, daughter. The King will die. It may be months or years, but he'll not live to be an old man. And if Rhaenyra succeeds him, war will follow, do you understand? The realm will not accept her. And to secure her claim, she'll have to put your children to the sword. She'll have no choice."

Maren could not help but stand back as her husband and step daughter argued. The redhead couldn't help but agree with her husband. Rhaenyra would kill Alicent's children, she would have to.

"You know it. You're no fool and yet you choose not to see it. The time is coming Alicent," Alicent's lip quivered, as the young queen tried not to cry. "Either you prepare Aegon to rule, or you cleave to Rhaenyra and pray for her mercy." After speaking the father pulled his daughter to his chest. Otto had only been trying to protect his daughter and grandchildren, and now he was being sent away. Leaving his only daughter to fend for herself in the dragon's den.