Chapter 24 - Gerudo Desert Trip - Part Three

Summary: The family completes the first part of their journey to the Gerudo Desert.

The morning sun reflected off the calm green waters of the Lanayru Sea as a steady north wind propelled the sailboat south. Link sat in the stern, one hand on the tiller, as he steered the craft west of the tiny Wintre Island and then onto a course parallel to the Afromsia Coast. He was not alone on the boat. Gaddison, one of the two Zora guards assigned by King Dorephan to accompany them, sat in the boat's bow and kept an eye on things from there. His lovely wife Mipha was swimming with Sidon, Tidon, and Raypha as they played in the water between the boat and the shore and had no trouble keeping up with the boat's progress. Rivan, the other Zora guard on the trip, swam ahead of everyone to ensure there was no danger.

Link was thrilled to be traveling once again, feeling the wind on his face and enjoying the beautiful view. He looked forward to seeing more of Hyrule, for he had come to love every part of that magnificent land. True, some locations were quite harsh, but he appreciated them for what they were and had learned to accept them on their own terms. He believed possessing the Goddess's sword and being her servant must have deepened his feelings for Hylia's land and her people. Perhaps only Zelda loved all of Hyrule as much as him, for she too was Hylia's servant and her descendant as well.

Hyrule was such a fantastic place! There were so many extraordinary locations, each with its unique history and beauty. And even the same place could surprise you each time you returned. One day, you could find yourself wiping rain off your face and stepping through puddles as green Thunderwing Butterflies flitted about. Another time you could enjoy a mild, sunny day with a gentle breeze and a colorful rainbow in the distance. And nighttime would change things all over again. The moon and stars could be shining above as the buzz of night insects joined the crackle of wood on a warmth-giving campfire. He had quite a few fond memories of traveling throughout Hyrule and didn't mind adding some more.

And what made this journey all the better was that he was traveling with his family. Both he and Mipha wanted their children to see Hyrule for themselves and to appreciate the land and the people who lived there. Most Zora families stayed close to home and never ventured beyond the Central Hyrule, Lanayru, Necluda, and Faron Regions. So this was a unique opportunity for Sidon and their children to broaden their horizons.

And aside from simply being educational, one of them would someday rule Zora's Domain and could benefit from firsthand knowledge of other locations and races. Though, given how lengthy Zora lifespans were, Link couldn't even imagine how far in the future that would be. Would their children even remember these trips after all that time? But come to think of it, maybe that was another reason why Mipha insisted they write essays about these family trips. If they were preserved, they could jog their memories someday.

Link smiled and shook his head. Mipha was a lot smarter than people who didn't know her realized. And perhaps Zora longevity gave them a longer-term outlook on life, a tendency to plan further ahead than he ever would. And then he suddenly remembered he was supposed to take pictures. So he picked up the Sheikah Slate and took several photos of the family and their surroundings.

As Rivan swam ahead of everyone, he enjoyed the saltwater experience but stayed fully alert for any possible danger. He certainly didn't expect any trouble, but he did not want to let his guard down. He and Gaddison were charged with protecting the entire future of the Zora Royal Family, which was a tremendous responsibility.

Besides, it was not all that long ago that these waters were known to be dangerous. Back in the day, you might be unlucky enough to encounter a pair of Lizalfos. They would most likely be swimming underwater, hunting for fish. But those nasty monsters would be more than happy to alter their diet and put you on their menu instead if you happened to wander too close and drew their attention. So fishermen from Lurelin Village learned to steer clear of the telltale disturbance on the water's surface that signaled their unwelcome presence below.