Nineteen: Shadows.

You stare up at him, before scrabbling up to your hands. Chuuya looks away at his own admission. There's no turning back now.

"Are you serious?" You ask. Your voice sounds feeble, weak, and all of a sudden cracking, "Are you being real with me?"

"Yes," He says, his voice heavy with guilt, "You wanted the truth, I'll give you the truth."

You look at him with a look of pain, before wordlessly gathering up your clothes and buttoning up to your collar. Chuuya grabs your wrist.

"What're you doing?"

"Going to Mori," You say, emotionlessly. You shake off his hand and continue to put your clothes back on, ignoring the soreness in your hips as you slide into your trousers. You ignore the searing gaze of Chuuya's eyes as you slide on your jacket, feeling it brandish a mark on you.

"For what?" He asks.

"To confront him."

"Don't," He says, reaching out again to grab you, "Keep this a secret between us."

"It's not about the forged psych eval I'm confronting him about," You say, "I won't betray your trust."

"Then why are you going to him?"

"I'm going to do something that he can't stop," Your eyes gleam dangerously; a flash of hunger thunders through your gaze with your mouth pulled into a firm line, "That he can't see coming."

You don't knock on Mori's door as you're entering it.

"Come on, Elise! Just one more dress on?"

"No!"

"I can die a happy man if you just try this one, just one more," Mori pleads, holding up a frilly dress that stops your breath: it was the same one that he had bought you when you were Elise's age. Your hands clenched into fists by your side, eyes narrowing as Mori continues to plead.

"Does this dress seem familiar to you, (First name)?" Mori asks from the dress he was holding up. His face takes on a sinister smirk. Elise turns around, and she's as naked as a newborn baby. Sick fuck. You snort.

"Of course," You put your hands behind your back and unknowingly dig your nails into your palms, "You made me go on a mission with that dress on."

"Despite your hallucinations and breaks from reality, you certainly remember your details quite well," He puts down the dress and walks towards his desk, while Elise pulls on her trademark red dress, "I can't say I'm surprised. I made you the best you are."

"You pushed me to my limits," You say, "The best was my worst."

"Isn't that just love?" He tilts his head, steepling his fingers together below his chin, "To push another to their limits, knowing their potential lies in their worst?"

"What do you know about love?" You say, your voice bordering on a laugh.

"What do you know about love?" Mori asks. A curious lilt to his festering voice, "Do you know what love is?"

A question that renders you stuttering and stammering in your head, contemplating the weight of his words. What was love? Was it with Chuuya? Was it the passion, the denseness of his obsession for you? Was it the freedom that came from your defect from the Port Mafia, was it the isolation that came from freedom? You must have been staring into space in silence, for Mori breaks it by stabbing his scalpel into his desk.

"I suppose you don't know the answer either," He says. You sigh.

"You're right. I don't," You murmur, "You ruined me."

"I tried to make you incapable of love, yes. Did I succeed? Possibly. Perhaps not. I don't know. I can't predict you; and that is why you are crucial to the movement of the Port Mafia."

"Why?" You find yourself shaking your head violently, "I don't understand. Why do you need me? I'm unstable. I'm a danger to the Port Mafia more than you realise; my loyalties aren't tied to you. I can't understand why you would want me back."

"Who wouldn't want their creation back under their hand?"

Your face drops, "Is that all I am to you? A creation?"

In the darkness, two shadows are drawn on the floor, the sky reaching a hopeless, heavy dusk. The shadows meet, and spill into a flood like a puddle of black. Two shadows become one. You can see it begin to act like water, moving and undulating: under the moon, blood looks black. The slick noises of water running and splashing against the walls. Flooding and lapping against your ankles, as though begging for a sliver of attention.

"I have created you," He says, standing up and facing his large windows. The moon is out, like a frozen tear suspended in the vast dark black of the night. A peaceful moon that leads the lost back home; the same moon that has witnessed the fall of empires and civilisations, and the rise of cities and you. She has witnessed your becoming and has done nothing to aid you, "It is my duty to take responsibility for my actions.

She was just as alone as you, yearning for the sea tides. The blood tides recede; they return back into the conjoined shadows.

What did you yearn for?

"You want me unstable? Fine then," You snap, viciously yanking the door open, "I'll give you unstable."

XX

You walk into the police station and grin, your smile filled with clinical insanity, at the police officers on night shift. Their heads are on fire, the flames flaring and rubbing against each other, their facial features burnt up in the biting, undulating heat. You blink and their heads are still on fire.

"Hello gentlemen," You say, putting your hands together in front of you, wrists pulled together, "I killed Hikari Hashimoto."