Twenty Three: Hopelessness.

You stare at Chuuya as a product of exile: You have found your own individuality, your specific identity, your certain kind of person, and you have accepted the beauty of Scalpel for what it was: Brutal, but touching in its shapeful nature.

This battle is about who wins, and how much blood flows.

You blink and you can see your younger self charge in front, just as Chuuya lunges forwards; his fists are a blur as they attempt to grapple you and pin you to the ground for an easy, non violent victory, but you're having none of that. You yank back your younger self back and drive your knife forwards; he dodges, and you're fast in leaping backwards to avoid contact.

"Smart girl," He murmurs, his facial expression turning feral as his ability triggers, "You know me, don't you?"

"Of course I do," You say, twirling the knife in your hand, "We were close."

"We are close," He exclaims, clutching his hat to his head as he leaves craters behind him in his run, "That's why we're fighting!"

You're careful to avoid his touch. His kicks are dangerous—lethal; one of those would send you straight into the ER without question. You move with the fluidity of a python, sliding through him in utter concentrated silence. His long legs are expertised in kicking, and at this point you can't do much but go for the defensive until an opening comes through.

Your shoulders drop.

His ability dies down for a split second. This is your chance. You immediately charge with your knife, smashing your entire body into him so that he's caught off guard. He lets out a grunt at the jab of a blade near his face, his cheek splitting open with blood filling in at the split-second movement. Before his ability can trigger, you swipe your knife across his neck. But your entire weight shatters and gets surrounded by red, and you choke at the sudden extra gravity added to your body.

How?

"I got you," He says, grinning at you as you're standing in a crater. Blood drips down his cheek, like a red tear. You grit your teeth.

"How?"

He plays with your hair as you're immobilised; lovingly, delicately, "It's hard to fight against gravity when it's everywhere, isn't it?"

"No gravity manipulation," You say. He smirks, before disabling his hold on you. You straighten your back in the midst of the debris, stretching your arms over your head, "Just martial arts."

"You'll still lose."

"I know," You say, with a smile of hopelessness, "But that's the entire point, isn't it?"

He swipes his leg for your head and you duck, knees cracking at the sudden movement. The air pressure makes your hair flutter. You leap backwards, only to lunge forwards again the moment your feet touch the floor.

You're out for blood.

"I'll let you keep the knife," He says, blocking your hits with his forearms expertly, "Just because I feel sorry for you."

"You little bastard," You can't help but smirk at that, "I'll show you."

You can hear people from behind him running up; they must be reinforcements. You immediately flash out your gun and start shooting, expertly aiming for their heads and necks with the spark of the gun blinking with every shot.

"You're a target now to the Port Mafia, I'm afraid," Chuuya says, his face showing faux sympathy, "Surrender, or die fighting."

"That's the plan," You say, watching their bodies collapse onto the floor. One of them is brave enough to come for you; you toss your knife up into the air. You grapple his arms and easily twist them so that his gun drops to the ground, clattering against the dirt. You catch the knife as it falls back down and stab it straight through the head, the tip coming through his forehead from the back of his skull. There's no mercy in the way you move: there's a breed of extinct snake in you that's lashing out for survival, going out for blood to ensure its existence is confirmed in this cruel world. Another lunges forwards; you throw your gun at him at full force and it hits him straight in the forehead, a pained grunt escaping his lips as you stab him straight in the neck.