CHAPTER 1: THE VACATION

It's a good day to feel the sun on my skin with my bag and sunglass. I am ready for summer, and Masbate is perfect for summer. A place of fine white sand and a blue water sea like Boracay. The smile of the staff gives me positive good vibes. Finally! The covid-19 is over, no more facemask, social distancing, lockdown, and the vacation is here! I looked around while the others were getting into the cottages we rent overnight. The Buntod reef sandbar is heaven for me. I will recommend the place to my friends once I return to Cavite. They said that this was a marine sanctuary and a hidden paradise. I believe in it because I am excited to dip my feet in the water as I roam around. The water is clear and blue, with no bars, just pure nature. This buntod reef sandbar is a perfect place to escape from the city to reduce stress.

"Maayo na aga", A young lady greeted me warmly. Her name is Cindy. I saw on her I.D. Maayo na aga is a Good morning in Masbate. It is their dialect. I smiled back at her and greeted her back. Even if I couldn't talk back with their dialect, at least I could understand what it meant. Masbate is my hometown, my birthplace, and I remember visiting Masbate during our summer break in grade school. I looked around because I missed the place and the sea. I feel like I just got out of prison after a year and a half because of the pandemic, and I will surely enjoy my stay here in the secret paradise of the Philippines. Masbate.

"Hello", Another young lady greeted me. She is one of the staff as well, like Cindy. "Hi", I said to her and watched her pass by.

What I miss most about this place is the warm welcome of the people who live here. Their hospitality will make someone come back for more, especially if you are a tourist.

"Mama", My daughter Lucy called me. She ran to me and hugged me with a smile. She is excited to dip in the water like me.

"What are you doing here?" My husband Knight said with his furrowed forehead. Maybe because of the sun or the fight that we had last night. He used to act like a boss and my enemy, not like his name. Knight. The Knight in shining armor. He is different because he is not my Knight in shining armor. He applied for migration to the United States of America without my permission. Of course, I understand that he wants to be with his mother, but he needs to tell me first before he decides. It is not like I don't support him, but I want to prepare myself for his leaving. He can go, but he can not take Lucy with him. He said, Lucy and I can go there after three years, but three years are long for me. Many things happened between those years; besides, it is hard to trust him again after what he did.

"I am just...looking around", I answered.

"Are you still mad?" He asked. I don't know what to answer, but I don't want another conflict. I shook my head without saying a word. He agreed, and he took my bag and Lucy's. I watched him go back to the cottage.

"I want to go back and swim, papa", I heard Lucy say while holding his papa's hand.

"Yeah, later", He answered.

When they were already inside the cottage, I sat on the sand and felt it on my skin. I took grain and tried to scrub it on my legs. The sand is so fine; it didn't hurt my skin when I rubbed it. I closed my eyes and listened to the people enjoying the hidden paradise. The waves and the chirping of the birds are a good combination. The waves of laughter and the sand are relaxing. After one year and a half of lockdown, we are now here. We were enjoying the beauty of life again and forgot about the sad moments of our lives. I know some of us lost our loved ones because of the pandemic, and most of us struggle to get back on our feet. That is why this vacation is a big help to regain our sanity.

"Lein",

"Lein",

"Lein"

I heard a woman calling me inside my head, but I didn't mind her because I knew he was not real. I shook my head to erase her from my head, but she kept on calling me, and I don't know why. I cover my ears and sit still. I don't want to move because I know those around me secretly laugh at me for hearing a voice inside my head. They didn't know that I could see them. That is the advantage of wearing sunglasses. I can roam my eyes around without their awareness. I don't know if I am just paranoid, but since the day I caught Knight. I don't want to trust people again. I feel like every woman that I see is my husband's mistress. That is why I want to be alone always. I close my eyes and listen to the waves while feeling the water touches my skin.