CHAPTER 7: THE ALTERS COMING OUT

"What did you do?" The women inside me asked me. Her voice is worried and scared; I don't know what happened and am trying to compose myself. The other me wants to take over, but I don't know if it is the real me, but she is scared and traumatized, while the one driving is relaxed and fearless. I look at the boy beside me, trying to recognize him. He can't look at me even though he knows I am looking at him.

"Eyes on the road," He said while looking outside the window after secretly staring at me with his fearful eyes.

"His name is Josh."

"Thank you for letting me know, Lein."

"He is Ellie's boyfriend. Don't flirt with him."

"I know, this kid is not my type."

He looked at me and asked, "What?"

"Nothing. I am just talking to Lein."

"What?" He asked in surprise.

"You might not be aware, but you are talking to my daughter and wife."

"Wait, who?"

"Well...well...well...well...well", And stepped on the break and watched the commotion of the civilians and militaries.

"What is going on?"

I want to watch a little closer, but I don't want the military to see me. That is why I am only watching from a distance. Enough for them not to notice that I am watching them crystal clear. They are giving water in exchange for food supply. The free water that they promised months ago didn't happen. Now, the people are thirsty and dying to get water. I remember how they took the water, my uncle was trying to give the people and dried the tank, leaving them nothing but frustration, worries and hopelessness. Now they are inflicting terror on civilians. They use their uniforms to get what they want and abuse people.

"You will thank me later, Lein, for taking over", I whispered, which made the boy look at me again with a question in his eyes.

"I already gave you canned goods. Give me water," The skinny man said to the soldiers.

"It is not enough," One of the soldiers said.

"What?" The man asked with dismay.

"I gave you all that I have."

"Well, no water for you."

"No!"The man cried because the men in uniform fooled him. After he gave his canned goods, he got nothing in return.

"Please, my son and wife are dying; they need water", He begged, but he was ignored, which left him no choice but to fight the men in uniform. He tried to grab one of the containers to bring it home for his wife and son, but the man in uniform shot him dead.

"Aaaahhh!!!" The crowd screamed when they heard the gunshot and saw the man dead on the ground. They are all in horror because of the soldiers who are supposed to protect them but are now abusing them for water.

"I don't like what I saw."

I am about to drive to the commotion to teach those soldiers a lesson, but Josh stops me, and I obey him because we will get killed if I go there. I sat back and took a deep breath, and continued watching them. What happened to my uncle flashed back. The day he gave free water to the neighborhood to help them survive, even for a while. Still, the military took the water and left nothing for people to survive. I made my hand close, and when I heard another gunshot and saw another civilian dead on the ground, makes me remember how the thug shot my uncle in his head. Tears fell down my cheek, and I immediately wiped them before Josh saw them, but I was late. He already saw me crying.