CHAPTER 9: THE AMNESIA

I told Josh to park the truck in the neighbor's garage and told the senior couple not to touch it or tell anyone we had parked the stolen truck in their garage. I went inside the house with my bag and my aching body. I don't know what happened to me or why my body is sore. I have scratches and bruises. I also have tiny wounds, which I don't understand why I have. I look at Josh; he is so scared of me, and I don't know why. I went inside the room and put my bag on the floor. I look in the mirror and wonder why I am wearing the turban. I take it off and put it inside the bag. My daughters are sleeping, and Knight is not here. I don't know where he went, but I don't have time to find him because my body is aching. I feel like I travel far, which makes me tired.

"Where have you been?" Knight asked, and he was now standing at the front door, looking at me. I look at him, and I wonder.

"Why?"

"I am looking for you; when I woke up, you were not home, and Lucy was crying," He said. I look at him and try to absorb what he says.

"Are you alright?" He asked while looking at my tiny wounds and bruises. He pretends that he is worried, but he doesn't care. The pain that he caused is incomparable. He tries to touch me, but I refuse.

"I want to rest," I said in a tired voice. He silently looks at me and leaves me alone inside the room.

I lay on the bed and covered my body with a blanket. I close my eyes and try to sleep even though I know I can't sleep because I can still hear the gunshot and the moan from the people who cause me pain. It keeps on playing in my head like it is torturing me. His happy face while he is fucking his bitch like a dog makes me smile to hide the pain.

"Ma," Ellie called me. I turn around to see her and smile at her. She went to me and hugged me, and I hugged her back. I try to touch her hair. It is rough and sticky already; she hasn't taken a bath since last month.

"I had a dream that Josh is cheating on me," She said, almost wanting to cry.

"It is just a dream, baby", I said to comfort her.

"When this all be done?" She asked.

"I don't know", I answered. I kiss her on the cheek and close my eyes. I feel such relief whenever my children are in my arms.

"I hope the dryness will be over," She said.

"I hope too"

"What happened to you, mom? why do you have wounds and bruises?" She asked while looking at my arms.

I looked at my arms and tried to remember what had happened. I don't know why I have wounds and bruises, and I don't understand why my body is aching, either. I noticed Joshua standing at the front door and looking at us. He is waiting for Ellie. I smiled at him, but he didn't smile back at me. I noticed that he could not look at me as well. His head is bowed down. He wants to tell Ellie something.

"Josh", I called him.

"I already put down the water," He said like I was his master with his head down.

"What water?" I asked.

He looked at me with his wondering eyes and cleared his throat when he saw me looking straight at him. He looked scared of me, and I don't know. I hadn't seen him the whole day, and I didn't even know what had happened to me, yet he looked at me like a scared cat.

"What's wrong, Josh?" I asked him, but he shooked his head and answered, "Nothing." Ellie looked at me and said, "I will be back, mom. I guess Josh needs something" I nodded, and she kissed me, and I watched her leave the room.

I stand up and look at myself in the mirror. I have tiny wounds on my face and bruises on my arms. I lifted my shirt, and I saw bruises on my body. "What happened to me?" I asked myself. I put my shirt down, and I look closer at the mirror.