Eren x Reader

Thanks @Chiaki_BestGirl for the request
———————————————————————

Two young boys ran through the streets, their laughter echoing around them. Passerby's would smile fondly at the friends and how much they've grown. Wide smiles were worn proudly on their faces with their hearts soaring high. It was hard to recall a time where they weren't together.

"C'mon Eren catch up!" one of the boys yelled over his shoulder. The other gave a smirk before sprinting ahead. More laughter filled the air of the warm afternoon. The finishing line of their race came into view, urging them both to push themselves harder before bursting through the door of their home.

"Ha! I win!" Eren shouted out in victory, pumping his fists in the air. The other boy gave a pout but strutted past the boy as if he wasn't disappointed in his loss. The house was empty besides the two as one of them pointed out quickly. "Hey, where's mom?"

"Your mom is with Mikasa to get bread, she told you before we left you idiot," y/n stated, giving the other boy a soft slap to the head. Eren immediately tackled the other boy to the ground, inciting a wrestling match that left them both giggling on the floor.

"I'm not an idiot!" Eren proclaimed as y/n pushed his face away while trying to catch his breath. Promptly sticking his tongue out to taunt the Yeager boy, y/n brought his arms up to flip his opponent over his shoulder causing them both to fall back onto the floor.

"Yes you are!" y/n chuckled, out of breath from all the activity. Eren finally relented to lay back, his chest heaving as well. Their laughter died down, exhaustion flooding their muscles as they settled on a momentary truce to await for Mrs. Yeager to return home.

~~~

My eyelids fluttered open as my face warmed with the flashback. The dream made me smile softly, fondness for the past pulsing through my veins like a drug. Things were sure a lot different now but there were the occasional nights where I was blessed with a chance to relive the past when my life was perfect.

A sigh exhaled past my lips, my gaze focusing on the nearby window where the moonlight filtered in, casting the room in a silver hue. It was something straight out of my midnight fantasies. These moments in the middle of the night made me feel some type of way I couldn't properly explain other than blissful.

The nearby sound of grunting alerted me to someone's distress. Glancing quickly to the bed near mine, I noticed someone not having a very fond dream. Eren's face was scrunched up in a look of pain as his breathing was turning erratic. He was obviously having another one of his nightmares, his panic apparent.

Quickly sliding out of my bed, I stepped by his side to rest my hands on his trembling shoulders. His eyebrows drew closer together before his panic increased, his hands beginning to clench by his side. I began to get nervous myself as I attempted to wake him gently.

After a few moments of worried shaking, he still kept trembling until his muscles began to spasm. Tears ran down his face as soft cries escaped his lips. If I listened hard enough, I could hear him calling for his mother. A stab of pity and mourning crossed my mind as I remembered the kindness of the woman who took me in.

"Eren, please. It's just a dream," I started to call out, urgency slipping into my tone. I didn't want to wake the others but with the way Eren was behaving, he would end up beating me to it. Giving up on shaking his shoulders, I moved my hands to firmly hold his face.

It was then his eyes snapped open as he gasped for air, his chest still heaving from the nightmare. His panicked gaze shot around the room wildly before settling on me as fresh tears rolled down his face. His hands came up to grasp my shoulders desperately and I let him.

"Y/n?" he questioned in his raspy voice. I nodded, starting to carefully caress his face to let him know I was here and real. He shook his head as if he could get rid of the nightmare plaguing his mind. His hold on my shoulders tightened but I didn't care.

"It's okay, it was only a nightmare," I whispered. It was a stupid thing to say though considering that we lived in literal hell. I did my best to coax Eren to breathe and calm down, a few tears escaping as he did so. He eventually returned to his normal self as a fire was set ablaze in his eyes.

"I'll make the titans pay for everything," he growled lowly. Chuckling softly, I gave him a small smile. I released his face to stand and return to my own bed but he didn't let go of my shoulders. It was clear he didn't want me to leave by the look in his eyes. "Can you stay here in case...in case the nightmares come back?"

He sounded like a little kid again, begging for me to stay and keep the monsters away. I recalled the pleasant dream I had awakened from only moments earlier. I'd do anything for Eren, I always have and always will. I also knew he felt the same way towards me.

"Of course Eren," I assured, prying his hands off my shoulders to slide in by his side. His body was warm as I wound my arms around his shoulders, his own hands pulling me closer to him by my waist. Our legs pressed together and a small shiver ran down my spine.

Looking into his eyes, I was sure of one thing: he was the perfect half of me I needed. With the way he gazed back intensely, I could only hope he knew it too. He eased back into a sleepy state easily, my own exhaustion catching up as well. Maybe with us so close, I could give him my own wondrous dreams filled with the two of us.

"You're an idiot," I whispered into the dark as I gave a yawn. Eren pressed his head against mine, my face cuddled up on his chest to hear his heartbeat. The steady thump soothed me as my eyelids began to drop.

"Only for you."