Rescue

"You ready Junhee?"

"Ready as I'll ever be. Let's get Minji back and figure out what's really going on here."

The metal door looming in front of us sits locked but we stole a key for it yesterday. Chan and I have been planning this for years, learning all we could and getting everything we could to make sure nothing could go wrong. Minji, we learned, was for sure still alive and was locked inside this building along with all the documents hiding the truth that the government won't tell us. Chan steps forward and unlocks the door carefully making sure to leave no finger prints and no trace of us being here.

The door slowly opens in front of us and he carefully closes it behind us and relocks it, making sure to leave still no trace of us. There weren't any cameras on the side we came in and we know where all the cameras lie, so it's a matter of not slipping at this point. We slide down the hallway making sure to avoid the cameras and night guards. Then we spot the command center where the cameras are watched, there's no one in there so we quickly shut the cameras off from the inside, me watching outside standing guard and Chan doing the clicky click magic on the keys. Then we push on.

We don't speak at all, only giving physical queues to let each other know what we're doing and where we're going, keeping a low profile in the middle of the night in the government building to be sure we can't be caught. Then we hear footsteps down the hall. The rattle of keys making it obvious it's a security guard, and we are trapped at a dead end hall with only one place to hide, behind a board that doesn't reach all the way to the floor. Chan whips me onto his back and ducks behind it making sure to tuck his feet as far back as he can to prevent being seen.

The light of a flashlight sweeps in front of the board but not long enough for the guard to be suspecting anything. The footsteps retreat the other way down the hall where we came from and it's only a matter of time before he realizes the cameras are off. Chan slides me off his shoulders and we duck down the opposite hall, into the halls with the rooms for the "unusuals" as they call them. We look and look but we can't find her room, not until we see a single locked room at the end of the hallway. I peak my head over the bottom of the window to be sure, and right in front of me lies a crying Minji. I almost lost my cool but Chan grabbed me and makes sure I stay calm. He directs me to the hall to the left and tells me to grab as many documents as I can and run to the exit. Without words of course, and if I had been smart I would have asked him why run. Instead I did it.

I make my way carefully down the hall into the locked room where all the information is hidden and I go into a file cabinet. I see hundreds of folders and grab as many as I can, then I hear yelling down the hall. I don't think, I just close everything quickly, shove the folders in my bag, and break for the door. I see Chan Running down the hall and follow him, just as I notice someone chasing me. I run faster and faster, following directly behind Chan and Minji. I'm not sure what he did but she's quiet and he's just going, while she's clutching a stuffed animal and a small bag.

The exit is in sight and we see 4 more security guards running at us from the side, I toss my bag to Chan and run faster towards the door, unlocking it and bolting to the side, knowing they are full well going to chase us both, I take my mask off.

"I'm back! I'm alive! It's me! Lim Junhee!"

The guards all stop and turn to me, something about this doesn't feel right. Then they all turn and jolt my direction, my first thought was run, and I do. I run up the stairs to my left into the halls of the main building and bolt down the stairs at the front of the building, hearing the stampede of footsteps slamming the ground behind me. I hope Chan and Minji made it out safely, because I'm going to have to go out the front and run for the car another way. I loop the building to see the car gone, and my stamina is running low, so I go for the first place I ever hid. The park has a heavily wooded part that I can hide in and call the other two guys to come for me.

It's a good run but I appear to have lost the guards a while back, they may have given up once I got out of the building or the just called in reinforcements. Either case is possible but I won't break and chance the latter. The run is hard on me, I'll be sore for sure tomorrow but I have to admit, this was a lot smoother than I thought it would go, which is what worries me. Something about this doesn't add up, but the fact that they all knew who I am makes me feel even more off about this. They came after me when I said who I was but ditched Chan and Minji... something's not right. What did my mom do?

I stumble through the forest and I'm messy, but I go until I reach the creek, cross it to lose my scent, and continue to the other side of the woods. I hide in the bushes for a while making sure I wasn't followed before carefully taking my phone out and sending a single text to Minho, our getaway driver again. Within seconds a black, unmarked car with the plate covered pulls in front of me and it hits me that he probably figured I would go this way. In the front seats I see Chan and a girl who looks terrified but relieved at the same time. I quickly dive into the middle seats and take my cover off as we pull away. We did it, but now we need to get back to Mrs. Lee's house and go through these folders and figure out what the hell was going on.

It's a long and silent ride, but we eventually get there, after pulling off the road on an unlit street and taking the cover off the license plate and allowing Minji to change into some spare clothes I brought for her. We get a warm welcome from Mrs. Lee who tells us that we were quick and the rest have no idea we even left. Thank goodness we did this on movie night, otherwise we would have had to out our plan to everyone and be told to not even bother trying. The only reason Minho was involved is because we needed a quick and easy way out, he didn't like the idea, nor did he agree with us, but he went along to make sure nothing happened to us like the good person he is.