3

There had been a car trailing cautiously behind the one Tatta drove, the slow paced car acted as a sudden wake up call from the position I had been on the floor, the position in which we had been in.

After Chishiya - in some sense - threw me to the ground to shield me from the grenades ear popping explosion our bodies had been closer than ever; almost intertwined in a sense.

My hands clawed at the road underneath us and my chest lie against the warm floor, however, Chishiya had the privilege of falling beside me on his back, yet, I suppose his arm was growing numb for one of the arms he had around my waist now became an awfully uncomfortable pillow beneath my body.

My heart raced, so foolishly it skipped a beat or two as I realised our predicament and felt his touch more prominently than ever. The lack of distance between us both the moment the grenade exploded had been almost exciting - That feeling I knew was true from me... I'd wondered if he felt the same or if that was another façade- and I could feel his breath in my ear as our bodies touched.

I hated that he still instilled excitement in my body after everything he'd said to me.

Despite the explosion, despite the pool of dead bodies painting the open road in shades of red there had been silence - a silence I craved so desperately after the repeated deafening gunshots seemingly on a never ending cycle - and I believed the slow paced car that drove by contained the King Of Spades within.

I pulled away from Chishiya's body upon realising the intimacy of our proximity. I'd moved away from him with a certain awkwardness I'd been ashamed of because I knew Chishiya noticed the discomfiture of my body from beside his own. I sat up against the car with a deep sigh of relief. I injudiciously believed the game was over.

"What are you doing?" He asked, leaning up against the car too. Chishiya looked and addressed me as if nothing had happened between us and he held my eyes intensely as if desperate for me to have stayed still.

"Getting ready to go" I admitted lightly, shuffling up against the car a little more and wiping my grazed hands I'd injured upon the fall to safety over my knees, "We should try and find them" I suggested weakly. I'd had an inexcusable, undeniable, incontrovertible desire to rush after the car everyone left in and reunite with them.

I didn't want to wait around idly for our paths to reconnect once again, I hadn't wanted that spontaneity when I could find them myself and save time.

A part of me desperately needed to speak to Kuina again about her troubled past and help her fight through every day using the memories as strength and I needed Tatta to vocalise his absentminded blabber centralised around his many interests, I wanted to hear about Usagi's mountain climbing stories and how she'd felt so serene upon witnessing the views. I never wanted to stop hearing about Arisu's recollection of memories regarding his closest friends and I wanted to know more about Ann's interesting work in forensics.

I took them all for granted in actuality and I'd realised that as I leant against the car knowing our paths had no longer entwined but instead they now broke away.

"Stay down y/n" Chishiya muttered quietly, his voice excusable as a hiss, a hasty hiss as if alarmed, anxious and exceptionally cautious.

I looked at Chishiya with a heightened interest finding that in my somber state I stared silently to the floor.

My eyebrows furrowed in confusion with his sudden cautiousness, however, they furrowed further the moment I lie my eyes on his face.

Chishiya was silent for a while, glancing past my body as if something from afar had caught his interest but I felt like I shouldn't look, I felt like in that moment he'd been asking me to train his eyes on only him.