Chapter 2: What Happened?

[Name] was surprised to find the front desk office full of customers. 

There weren't too many people, considering that Mandela County was small, but there were more people than they expected. Luckily there weren't too much people to make [Name] feel like they were suffocating. Only a few people. [Name] recognized some of them: Monster Kid from the Underground, Sans, Jonah Marshall from the Bythorne Paranormal Society (BPS) Investigations, and a few monsters here and there. Everyone looked very nervous and anxious as they waited on the seats in the middle of the room.

Another race, known as Monsters, were trapped from the Underground and was freed by a human ambassador. Nowadays, Monsters had as much as free and equal rights as humans did in America. Not many monsters were comfortable settling out of Mount Ebott's range, so they settled in Ebott City and beyond. Mandela County was part of the big city but was on the outskirts, the closest to the mountain, so this was where most monsters settled down. 

They went up to the front desk. There was a woman police officer dressed formerly, and she looked up. [Name] recognized her: Evelin Miller. Adam's ex-girlfriend. [Name] vaguely remembered Adam telling them that they used to be together, but they broke up due to a slight argument. [Name] were great friends with them, and some of the people seated in the room were also people [Name] knew, as Mandela County was pretty small compared to other places. [Name] waved at Jonah, who made a nervous smile and waved back, and then at Sans. He only raised his hand with his comedic grin as usual, but his smile was more strained in anxiety.

"How may I help you-?" Evelin started, but then looked up. "[Name]?" She questioned as [Name] greeted her.

"It's nice seeing you, but here out of all places?"

[Name] asked for the check-in list.

"Oh, yeah, here you go." 

Evelin handed [Name] a paper on a clipboard with a black ballpoint pen. The sheets looked simple: All [Name] had to do was put their name and the prisoner they were visiting, and why. Then the time and the dates. [Name] also had to put personal information, and sign their name below. After following these procedures, [Name] handed the sheet back to Evelin, who received it and typed something in her computer. Then a small printer emitted a paper, and Evelin tore it from the printer and gave the slip to [Name]. 

"This is your waiting number," she explained, "When the police officers call the number on the paper, you go up to them, okay?"

[Name] thanked her and said they understood. They proceeded to head to the chairs, towards Sans and Jonah. Both of them were already befriending each other, chatting, possibly in attempt to calm their anxious nerves down. Both of them waved to [Name] and scooted so that [Name] could sit between them. 

"Heya, kiddo, how's it been?" That one was Sans. He was a round, paunchy, cartoonish-looking skeleton monster with white eyelights inside the eye sockets, a rare and endangered species to his kind. He was casual, easygoing and very punny, and was loved by all monsters as a lovable character. His clothing consisted of terrible fashion: black basketball shorts with one white stripe down each of the sides, a white turtleneck sweater, and a faded blue jacket with a grey hood. He even wore pink household slippers. His voice itself sounded funny and ironic at the same time, with a baritone voice that was memorable for everyone. He was also notorious for being lazy, as he tended to take naps and liked to do pranks on people he was in good terms with.

"Why do you have the tendency to call everyone 'kiddo?" The other who said in the joking manner was Jonah. He was a tan-skinned male with hints of silver dyed hair at the ends. His short hair was swept over to the left side of his tall face. He was often seen wearing a dark jacket with a light gray hoodie underneath. Jonah was a carefree, yet heavily anxious individual, as he had the tendency to joke around most of the times, but he seemed to be very worried for even for the most smallest things.