Chapter 4: Not Particularly Forthcoming

"I didn't realize the Hammer was capable of caring for anyone like that."

"He isn't. He just likes to have control over his... belongings."

-House of Sky and Breath, pg. 165

"You'll miss me, won't you, Princess?"

Lidia closed her eyes, lungs expanding as she forced an upward tilt to her lips, her muscles locking for an instant. It took immense effort to keep her chin from jerking away as calloused fingertips traced down her jaw. The touch was nearly gentle, though she would never call it loving. Not when the question was a test - a trap woven between deceptively romantic words and expectant caresses.

"Of course," she murmured, lifting her lashes to meet a gaze of the clearest, most incredible cobalt. Decades ago, when Pollux Antonius had rescued her from the interrogation chambers of Ophion, she'd thought perhaps she could fall in love with those eyes. Drown in the shimmering lagoon where she had seen her battered face reflected.

Before she'd learned that the Hammer had orchestrated her capture. Had weaponized her fear and pain and vulnerability to weave his web so thoroughly that it had taken years to even realize that her mind had been poisoned. And by then it was too late.

Those cruel fingers gripped her chin, nearly hard enough to bruise, and she swallowed a gasp.

"How much?" he demanded, voice deceptively soft and eyes empty as his lips twisted into a knowing smirk. The Hammer knew as well as she that there were only two options: a simpering, uncomfortable stroke to his ego, or punishment.

Lidia wasn't sure which would satisfy him more.

Unable to trust her words, she hooked her hand around his nape and crushed her lips to his. Speaking with her body and praying that the angel interpreted it the way that would keep her safe. Keep Ruhn safe.

Pollux groaned into her kiss, one powerful hand delving into her hair and gripping it tightly. He huffed a laugh at her gasp, their breaths heating the tiny space between them. Then he jerked her head back by her tresses with a snarl. The shifter held her breath as his eyes turned to slits, the blue darkening like a storm-battered sea.

"This is fucking bullshit," he seethed, using his grip on her to toss her back onto his bed before stalking the room. Lidia sat up quickly, ignoring the burn across her scalp as her attention followed him back and forth. She wound the loose golden strands into a low bun as the Hammer continued to grumble. "Celestina's triarii is still short, even with my return. Why the fuck can't I bring you back with me?"

"Rigelus is very keen on locating Quinlan–"

"Oh, save it. Danaan and Athalar haven't given up a damn thing. Do they think you will do better on your own?"

Lidia gritted her teeth, holding back the indignation against his condescension. It was a strange paradox - wanting to defend her capabilities whilst simultaneously detesting them. But the Hammer was excessive and impatient, and while his sadism was perfectly suited for the breaking of prisoners, everything else about him lacked the precision and grace that was required for such a role.

But to argue that she may best him in any way was a battle she did not wish to wage. She just wanted to do whatever it would take to get him out.

"Well..." She drew out the word, trying to sound as placating and pleasing as possible as she lifted herself from his bed and sauntered over to him. Her steps stopped in front of him, and she slid a hand up his bare torso, forcing herself to pout her lips seductively as her fingers traveled the peaks and valleys of his muscles. "I'll need to travel to Lunathion soon. I think it might be beneficial to... have a chat... with some of Danaan's associates. So perhaps I'll be with you sooner than you think. Maybe a few weeks?" Lidia's golden gaze caught his through her lashes, her expression one of seductive promise. Then she rose onto her toes and placed a kiss against the corner of the angel's mouth. With a soft pat to his chest and a tiny hum of what she hoped would seem like contentment she stepped back. "You're going to be late, baby," she whispered and turned to leave.