Chapter 1

"Pull yourself together."

Simone repeated the three words to herself. She splashed water on her face staring at her reflection. Her eyes were clear as day that she was barely sleeping. She couldn't sleep - every time she felt her eyes get heavy, her dreams turned into nightmares. She blinked a few times trying to complete the one mundane task.

"My baby is having a baby. I gotchu locked down for the next 18 years. Ha ha ha."

The voice and memory in her head belonged to her husband. A very vivid memory of her attempting eyeliner and he insisted on rocking them back and fourth. Kids were never on her radar. She never saw marriage and the whole all american dream concept that every girl wanted.

It was an unplanned pregnancy and in the midst of his comeback to the NFL, Jordan planned accordingly. There was no way he was missing out on big moments. He was more than thrilled to have the best of both worlds. His life was shaping out the way he wanted it too.

He got the woman of his dreams.

Simone exhaled snapping out of her day dream. She heard a knock on the bathroom door, the voice on the other side belonged to Liv. Simone tried to stay there. She tried to be a good wife and work things out but every time she heard his voice or went on the internet, she was reminded of the accusation.

She couldn't do it. She couldn't look him in the eye and have conversation. It made her want to throw up thinking of it possibly having truth to it. So, she did what she did best when her back against the wall. She packed a small bag and checked into a hotel with Kennedy.

That was until Liv found out she had left and made her come stay with her at the James household. Simone felt like she was intruding on their happy little bubble. Liv said it was nonsense because she was just as pissed. The media was having a field day. As promised, Liv made sure Simone got her space.

"He's gone." Liv announced.

Her twin has been coming over every single day without fail. Liv understood that they were both in pain. She didn't know what to believe. No matter how much her brother loved Simone, she knew his track record back in the day. It was far from stellar and she knew how the media worked. Everybody wanted their own version.

"Good. Can't you block him from your property." Simone opened the door.

"No, I don't want to keep my brother from his daughter." Liv shrugged.

She knew that would kill him.

"Do you have to do the right thing?" Simone scoffed.

"Yes. I know you want your space but don't do that to my Kenny. You know they are obsessed with each other."

Liv had a point. Kennedy was a daddy's girl. It wasn't to say she didn't adore her mother, it was just very clear that Kennedy enjoyed her father's silly personality. If anybody could make her laugh into a screaming fit then it was Jordan. He wasn't all that funny but he did anything obnoxiously silly to bring a smile to her face.

"Plus, you cannot have big head stress you out because..."

"I know Olivia. I don't need the reminder which just makes everything even worse." Simone sighed.

"I got Kennedy for the day. You enjoy your first day." Liv pinched her cheek walking out the bathroom.

"It's going to be hell."

***

Simone flickered on the light of her classroom. She had taken a break just to enjoy her baby and work on furthering her education. Something that Jordan had supported her in. It gave her time to do the same for him. She went to all his home games and enjoyed it.

Her classroom was all set up and it took her back to the first time she met Jordan. She was nervous. Her eyes focused on the flowers sitting on her desk. A dozen peonies which made her nervous. Simone removed the card from the envelope.

Sweetheart,

I love you and our babies more than life. I know your students will adore you as much I do. Nothing means more to me than being yours. Have a great first day.

J

Simone read the card over and over. She crumbled it tossing it in the trash. Taking the vase, she walked down the hall and retraced her steps coming across a blonde woman around her age.

"Hi." Simone put on her best face.

"Hello, wow. Those are gorgeous." She looked up with the bluest eyes.

"These are for you." Simone didn't wait for her answer sitting them on her desk.

"Oh really?" She rose her brow.

"Uh yeah, they got delivered to my room. It didn't come with a card or anything so here you go." Simone smiled softly.

"Well.... Thank you...." Her voice trailed off.

"Oh! Sorry, Simone. Simone B - Baker." Simone held out her hand giving her a firm handshake.

"Ella Fox. Nice to meet you. You look familiar. Do I know you from somewhere?"

"Nope. I am new to the school district so I don't think so."

"Are you sure?" Ella tilted her head.

"Yeah yeah. I am sure. So, how long have you been here at Beverly?" Simone changed the subject fast.

"About six months. Are you from around here?"

"No. Atlanta actually. I know... friends from here."

"Well welcome to Beverly and please let me know if you need anything. I'd be happy to show you around town." Ella offered.

"Uh yeah, thanks. I'll consider it. Have a good first day."

"You too. Love the ring by the way."

Simone mentally cursed that she didn't take off her wedding ring. She usually had an everyday band to wear so she wouldn't lose it. Much to her surprise, her father in law had put in a good word. She had tried to decline his help but Billy insisted. He still knew people thus he was willing to help in anyway. Why did she have to choose to teach in Los Angeles when she could easily make a difference at Jordan's old stomping grounds.

Now Simone felt like she regretted the decision.

"Thank you. It was a...promise ring. S-See you later. Ella right?"

"Sure it was, and yes Ella." She confirmed.

Ella took notice of the nerves the other woman had. She waved seeing Simone exit. She was looking forward to having a new friend and knew she just needed to warm up to the environment. Beverly Hills was a lot of things and you needed to have a solid friend group behind you.

"Both of you can stop calling me." Liv commented.

"Both?" Simone stabbed her salad.

"He called five times and you called seven."

"He called?"

"You had this man at my home every day desperate and you know he is an overbearing parent that think I can't take care of my niece."

"I know you are more than capable Liv. I trust you."

"I think he just wants to talk to you."

"I do not care what he wants."

"Now Simone, don't be stubborn." Olivia voiced.

Simone sighed listening to her sister in law. She just let her talk. Liv didn't want to take sides in this. She just knew that Jordan was miserable and this would throw him off his game for the upcoming season. The press would also focus on nothing else. She didn't need anything or anyone stressing out Simone.

"I gotta Liv. I'll see you later. I'll bring home dinner. Love you bye."

Her appetite was ruined. Simone walked back into the building into her classroom to prepare for her next class starting in half an hour. She seen a figure as she flashed on the light.

"What are you doing here?"