V: An Interlude

○○○○○○○○○

"Sweetheart!" Daniel's calls from the doorway of the garage.

"Sweetie, I have something for you," Daniel says with a mischievous glint in his eye.

He steps further into the garage, and an ice resurfacing machine no bigger than a housecat rolls out from behind him.

"Honey, I'd like you to meet your friend Tony."

Tony swivels forward on his treads and starts zooming around the room, exploring the corners as if he was a puppy.

"Oh, Daniel!" I exclaim. " I love him so much."

Daniel comes closer and reaches his hand out to take mine.

"I knew you'd love him, dear."

I let out a contented sigh, and we watch little Tony explore the room for a moment, listening to the gentle hum of his wheels before something feels off.

I look down at our interlocked hands and feel a sense of foreboding.

This isn't right... but I can't figure out why it's wrong.

"Honey, is there something wrong?" Daniel asks with concern dripping from his words.

I look up at him and freeze as his face contorts from concern and turns into a wicked grin. His hold onto my hand tightens. I attempt to yank my hand from his grasp but he only comes closer and holds on tighter.

"Let go of me!" I scream, and finally twist my arm to break free from his hold.

I turn and run out of the room as fast as I can, sensing his pursuit.

I run down the hallway, but quickly feel disoriented, as if I've never been down it before. That can't be right, certainly I went this way to get into the garage in the first place, right?

I shake off my hesitation and sprint towards the doorway of a bathroom, drowning out Daniel's shouts of protest. I quickly push my way through the doorway and shove a nearby trashcan in front of it like a barricade.

I glance around the room, but do a double take of the mirror and look into the reflection of a stranger.

Pale skin, fluffy brown hair, and rosy cheeks. I look into wide, frightened, blue eyes and realize that this is the reflection of Jackie. But, I am not Jackie, I am Bonnie.

I am Bonnie.

Bonnie the... zamboni...

I reach out a shaking hand towards the mirror, and instead of feeling the hard coolness of glass, by hand sinks into the surface of the mirror, and something yanks my whole body through.

I'm falling, falling, falling through a dark abyss that feels limitless. My head starts to swim and I can feel my consciousness start to slip slowly for hours, days, years.

Until I feel nothing at all.

○○○○○○○○○