six

Rain woke up with his eyes heavy and puffy

Rain woke up with his eyes heavy and puffy. The bright sun passing through the blinds made him squint as he rolled to the side. He just stared at the window and the lights peeking through the blinds, mind floating in an empty space.

It was an empty space. But a thought had formed and somehow, it was probably the best in the situation.

“How… did I even end up here?” he croaked, his throat dry, his voice hoarse.

He wasn’t the one who drank last night but he had no idea what happened after what took place a few hours before.

Sitting up, Rain then forced himself to make himself look a little more like a human before leaving his room.

He passed by Payu’s room quietly and headed for the stairs. Rain scratched at his neck.

Last night was unexpected but with it came a relief that he didn’t know he needed. Now though he was nervous how they’d face each other.

By the fourth step on the stairs Rain paused. The smell of coffee and bacon reaching his nose. He half ran the remaining steps and went to a full stop at the kitchen’s entry.

“…”

“…”

Payu was plating bacon and eggs, the steam from freshly brewed coffee danced with the sun rays coming from the windows behind.

Neither of them talked. Rain just took his tiny steps towards the breakfast counter and Payu pushed the plate to the other side where Rain would sit.

Rain sat and pulled the plate closer to him, never taking his eyes off Payu’s face. Payu pulled the stool and sat, his gaze not leaving Rain’s eyes as he did.

“…”

“…”

The two of them just stared and stared, as if there was an unannounced staring battle and both didn’t want to lose.

“…”

Rain did his best. He really did. But he was never good at this game. Not then, not now. He always lost.

“Why are you staring so much, P’Payu?” Rain asked, slightly frowning as he stabbed the bacon with his fork.

“I’m just staring at the one who stared first.”

Rain abruptly looked up from the bacon he was butchering. His heart picking up pace as he searched the beautiful face across him.

“What?” Payu asked.

Rain smiled a little and shook his head. The P’Payu from before would definitely say this. Hearing it from the P’Payu now comforted him he could cry.

But no more crying now. Instead, Rain ate with vigor, relishing the fact and the blessing of being able to eat breakfast much more comfortably with P’Payu.