23

Naruto came to a halt in his movements as he sensed Sasuke behind him. He didn't land on the ground, but remained on the tree. "Why are you following me, Sasuke?"

The Uchiha landed on the same tree branch Naruto was standing on. "I thought we were partners," he started in am emotionless tone. "And now I learn that you're going out, leaving me to suffocate in that village."

It was a bit frustrating not having anything to do. Really, he was a warrior and waking up every day to know that there was no job waiting for him was a little bothersome. Why had he even spent days sweating and killing himself in order to become powerful? Wasn't it so that he could use this power? It was being wasted staying still in Konoha.

He wanted to do something that would challenge him, something that would push him and make him realise that he really did need that training he did with Itachi and with Naruto. Being in Konoha waiting for Tsunade to come up with an interesting mission was a complete waste.

Naruto always had something interesting to do, and although he could not get the details out of Yugao, he knew the blond was going to fight. He was like that and always up to something. His brother had admitted it after all... Naruto was a scheming person, manipulative and above all, dangerous. Well, if you were not his friend.

"Are you a child now Sasuke?" Naruto asked with a look on his face. "Do you really need to tag along in everything? I didn't call you because I wanted to go on my own. Besides, this is something a bit personal that I need to handle... Don't think for a moment that I didn't call you because I decided it was too dangerous; I'm not your mother."

But still, he would need to plan something for the Uchiha, otherwise he would insist in tagging along. Sasuke could be difficult at times. One way of dealing with this child was just giving him the toys he wanted and show him the playing field outside or else he wouldn't stop crying.

What could be worthwhile that would make the Uchiha turn on another way?

"I didn't say you were my mother!" Sasuke snapped a bit impatiently before calming himself. "Then, where are you going? I don't buy that crap about things being personal. The only personal thing for you is your mother. If she is back in Konoha, it isn't something you can't involve me.. The fact that you don't even want to tell him does leave me curious and even more interested in following you."

Naruto shook his head.

"What do you think of the current status in the Elemental Nations?" Naruto asked the Uchiha as he settled down on the tree branch. There was time allocated for disturbances, so he could manage with this one but in the end, he would not leave with Sasuke - they would take different paths.

"If that is your attempt to divert me away from the main subject, it is pathetic coming from you," Sasuke said with a snort.

Naruto's eyes went towards the Uchiha - who stared back fiercely - but the blond didn't say anything about the stare. His eyes looked down between his legs. "It is that kind of an attitude that makes me question if you really have grown. But let us get this straight, I will not be crossing the borders with you. I asked you an important question, now answer it, Sasuke."

Sasuke was just reminded of the Naruto who used to bully him when they were still young. Of course he was no longer that boy and would not allow Naruto to bully him around. Even so, he knew when to push and when not to. If it had been the days of the old, he would have put in an argument and the blond would have come up with a way to disable him.

He couldn't do that now because beating him up wasn't as simple as it was back then. But he knew Naruto would just come up with a way to get away from him without picking up a fight. Yes, that was very possible and since he didn't know where the blond was going, he could not risk that.