Volitient

The months leading up to Hyacinth's 15th birthday and her subsequent coming-of-age ball were uneventful, the mundane only broken by her passing all of her ministry-required exams earlier than anyone expected of her and the countless articles speculating on who the remaining two that had been stealing from "Hazel Potter" were. Rita Skeeter had even started a poll every week. For now, Dumbledore and Hermione were leading the poll at 50% and 35%, respectively, with Gilderoy Lockheart following behind at 15% for some odd reason.

Hyacinth's hair had grown down to her ankles at an alarming pace, so much so that it was becoming a struggle to brush on her own. That is when Narcissa explained the concept of a chosen to her.

"A chosen", The painted woman started, "is a trusted male in your life, has to be trusted because, remember, they are literally holding the source of your magic in their hands, who will dutifully brush your hair for you morning and night. With the length of your hair, it would take around an hour and a half for it to be brushed properly, so it leaves ample time for deep conversations with your chosen. It's a bonding experience, especially if the male is related to you. You can have more than one chosen at any time, but I suggest only having one for now; it saves confusion." 

Hyacinth nodded and jotted down Narcissa's words in the book her mother had gifted her on Christmas, which was becoming full with all the lessons Narcissa and Bellatrix had been teaching her on pureblood etiquette. 

She thought for a moment. 

"Do I have to choose someone straight away?" she asked the painting of the woman who had become her most trusted confidant in recent months. Narcissa smiled and shook her head slightly from her place in her painted armchair. 

"You don't have to, but I wouldn't recommend leaving the decision for too long; with the rate of your hair growth, it will become a strenuous task to brush it alone, " she advised, and Hyacinth nodded her agreement.

"I will take a couple of days to think on it before I make my final decision", she replied, and Narcissa nodded before they were both distracted by a knock on the door.

The door opened slightly, and the twin's heads popped from round the corner of the door. They grinned cheekily at her before Fred spoke up.

"Hey, lil sis", he said, stepping fully into the room and gathering her into a hug. Hyacinth loved the hugs the twins gave her. They were gentle and loving and made her feel like everything was good in the world. 

"Fred and I were wondering if you'd like to go shopping with us. We wanna spoil you since your birthday and coming of age ball is coming up." George said, pulling her into another hug once Fred let go of her. 

Hyacinth nodded; "where will we be going?" she asked, and the twins smirked at her. 

"That's for us to know and you to find out. Just know we're using international portkeys" Fred said as he began to back out of the room. 

"Well. What are you waiting for? Start getting ready. We leave in an hour and a half," George instructed, following his brother and shutting the door behind him with a soft click. Hyacinth shared a look of fond annoyance with Narcissa before she shuffled off into her closet to pick out an outfit.