Chapter one: the first coming.

Some call me the priest of the first, or the ultra-loyalist. I'm neither, I'm not a prophet nor a god-son I'm just a person who was in the right place at the right time.

That right place and time, Titan during the descent of the first.

I slowly exit my Hab, Twisting the ER-exit lever to the open position, the exit chamber room floods my entire body with green-gold gas that cleans me in my entirety. It's similar to Earth's showers of old. The gas flows,  down my body melting away the dirt and cleaning off sweat. It's amazing really, these aren't so common elsewhere.  

The green-gold gas around me clears up and allows my eyes to adjust once more to the fluorescent white light. I look around double checking my surroundings, a little light-headed.
"I will never be able to get used to this," I remark, inching forward following the slowly opening door, the hinges never do well on the exit from the hab. 

The blinding fluorescent light is replaced by a blue haze, I look out, unto the forest filled with green leaves and fir trees. I have always thought this is the life, of a charismitist on a peaceful planet. Nowadays peace is a luxury for the lucky and the rich.

Which of the two am I? Well, if I said I was lucky I'd be lying, and I'll be damned if I'm rich. I just barely managed to scrape past the Martian military exams, those who fail the exams, get conscripted. barbarians. As for the rich part? That's not my story to tell, not right now at least.

My normal commute to the office is as scenic as possible,  following a little marble path through the forest. Most of the time, the forest is a lovely aqua blue, keeping the shade in just the right places, it's like a massive atrium. I am by all means glad it's all paid for by the greater tri-forrus company. We could use a bigger hab and a larger salary but this makes up for it. Even if just a little bit.

Though my hopes were high that day, I had just submitted the final report on the overall colonial happiness and status of mind, but something felt off. I could feel it in my bones, as old school as that sounds it's the only thing that could describe this feeling.
It was like a dread-filled joy.

I went through my day, staring at the data on my computer nothing spectacular. I was asked out for coffee that day. The offer was by Catherine. She always held my eye. Not because of her body, it was her mind. She held an incredible intelligence. 

If there was ever a problem with the numbers, a high spike or a low trench she was always able to find the most minute mistake and correct it. I remember her desk was always filled with books, fantasy and sci-fi of an old era.

Soon enough work ended, and I packed my things and prepared for my small trek back home. We weren't having coffee today but I still went and said goodbye to her. As I came in she seemed a little freaked but she wouldn't share any of the details with me. 

That's pretty normal for her. We exchanged some news from the day. She had recently finished reading a fantasy book about shardlike beings destroying the world and a hero coming to either destroy them or befriend them. 

Honestly, I think it wraps up in the next book. It's not exactly my cup of tea. I made my way home, passing the security towers, through the small Rydo park. Little critters, everyone has one. I stop for a salami and cheese sandwich at the deli and eat it on my commute into the atrium. 

This was bliss, to walk down an old forest lane and watch the flowers flow up and day, purple, blue and red. I arrive home whip up some coffee, and then place myself on the couch in the lounge to leisurely scroll through the latest data sets on the old world. 

My disturbingly boring life, came to an end soon after I had finished work and arrived home.
A large shuttle came crashing down, mind you not one of those mirinian ones with the plasma shielding. It crashed directly into the heart of the forest, though as I said more of an atrium or a nature reserve. Semantics aside it was close to my house and it made an excruciating noise as it hit the ground.

I believe at the time, I was drinking my coffee and reading a data packet sent to me by Catherine, little to none to say, my coffee descended onto my lap, and my tablet very quickly exited my roof and then the atmosphere. 
I left my hab, this time in a flat panic as the forest around me burst into horribly yellow and black flames.

The terror I felt as I ran from it towards the town was amazing, I think I was high on adrenaline.
My regular commute to town usually took forty-five minutes. This time it took me no less than ten.

I sprinted without regard for the pain my legs felt or the terror that enveloped me.
The only thing this reminded me of, was home. Mars.
The Mars that fell into the most gruesome war that humanity had ever experienced; a planet-wide civil war.

The Lords of Iron, a magnate clan controlling the huge mineral fields in the southeastern continent, assumed control over government affairs in the southeast. its name was Novae Marrus most just called it Marrus or No-Vae. As the taxes on minerals rose around the solar system, The Lords of Iron became more and more poised to conquer. It was still raging to this day.

Of course, the government tried to subdue the lords before they rose. Slowly, things came up one after another. Rebellion of all kinds sprung from the wood, first The Lords of Iron, then the Climbers, then The Red, then the purists. Just to name some.

Before long I was away from the ravaging flames and in the safety of town, eyes staring into the forest ablaze. No smoke rose from the flames just light and nothing truly burnt.
It was just on fire... but not burning.

Something so outlandish should never have been possible not even with the science of our era. The flames continued to spread, still not burning anything no smoke rose, yet they spread until they enveloped the entire nature reserve. Hundreds and thousands flowed to the outskirts to see this marvel.

"We should extinguish it, a fire spreading into town is no good." One of the law enforcers commented, still a little stunned.
"Why even bother when it's doing no damage? It's not our job anyways." Another countered.