Chapter four: Waking up

=========Authors note========
Cover Image credit to: <a>Free Stock photos by Vecteezy</a>

Thanks for reading and enjoy.
===========================

I have to stretch further, my arm barely manages to go far enough to touch a single finger. Her existence was so far away. It was disorientating, she looked so close. So within grasp. In reality, she was further than even the mind could guess. She had to come to me to be within my grasp. My effort alone was not enough.

Our bodies touched. Her silk soft yet crystalline, parched white-wash skin and my rough tanned, callused hand. My mind felt like it burst within milliseconds. My brain began to run at a thousand times the speed it usually runs, it was overwhelming. There were so many images swirling in my head. I hoped and thought that my skull would implode into a black hole. That felt like the only release possible.

Suddenly my eyes refocused and the god in front of my eyes became more trustworthy, her pale skin creating a halo of almost artificial light. I felt energetic. Like I could crush a world in my hands. I felt further than human. "What did you do?" I begged and pleaded, wishing that I had trusted her earlier. My loyalty was bought, then earned and confirmed.

"Then, young one. That much power is a taste of what is possible with belief and unity."
Her voice was clearer. She slowly and delicately flourished her hand to the side and an image appeared. An image of chaos, of destruction. War and tyranny. "This is what Titan will look like." I gasp. It's almost indistinguishable from the shambles of Mars.

"No. It can't be." I say spiteful. It was an impossible image. Titan in flames, Railshot being blasted into and out of residences. The garden was in shambles, the flowers having been trod on and begun to wilt. The garden of course was lushious Titan, who provided for her children. For close to two generations. The first settlers arrived and found grass, trees, and air.

The point of Titan's population was to find out why Titan supported life and held oxygen, nitrogen, nitric oxide and trace amounts of carbon dioxide. The last was a rarity due to how much vegetation was on Titan. I was flabbergasted. How could my new home come to ruin? Not again. I wouldn't let it happen. If I had to raze it to build it again I would do it. Never again. I will not allow anyone to live if they dare work towards destroying my sanctuary.

"The future rests in your hands martian." Her left hand flew to the left of her with far more expediency than the previous action and created a second image. One of a prosperous Titan, filled with trees, plants, houses, and gardens. Titan as she once was. Lush. Beautiful.
That was a future worth fighting for. Where children could once more smile. Where there was enough food to eat and no one would starve. Medicine, shelter, happiness.

"How do I earn my right to that world? How do I fix what is broken?" I utter from my mouth. The world hardly comes out. It was an impossibility that she was able to know this. The universe and time aren't something that can be manipulated. No humans have ever been able to go that far. "My first child or child to be. You do not know of me or where I have come from. The farthest reaches of your empty and dead macrocosm. The place where your children's terrors and nightmares roam freely amongst their imagination. In this place, I was born as a wisp of what I am now. Bow to me and we will make the world to my left."

She reels her head sideways towards the right and urges me to look. "Deny me and this reality might just come to pass. Neither of these is certain, however, without my power, the others will fight amongst themselves." Her words were direct and harsh but as soon as she reached the speaking point of others, her soft voice hardened into steel and scraped against itself.

Reality, reality, reality, right now is a figment of my imagination, a dream to fall asleep to whilst the chaos of the world outside rumbles. Her eyes settle on me once more. Those white pupils pierced my soul again. I had decided. I just needed to bring myself to action. I had had one hell of a ride. So what if I go on an adventure now and then?

Well, do I have to sell my soul?" I shrug my well-built shoulders rotating up and down.
"Your jokes are amusing but not necessary. In response, no I do not want your soul. It is yours to keep, I simply seek your loyalty. That I suspect I will have to earn." She stops and stares at me again. I just have to be loyal. Well, if there is anything to believe in loyalty would be a start.

I hear the voice again, the one in my head from before I entered this light. It was urging me to give my hand to her again. I listened without question, I mean. It got me this far.
My hand reaches out to grasp hers again, she doesn't hesitate in giving me her left hand. The one that created a prosperous Titan. As we touch again I feel the overwhelming pressure of a floodgate of thoughts open again in my mind.

The floodgates opened and flowed for a while. It almost drove me insane. Those words flowed like the great rivers on earth, the old, old ones. The ones that could fit massive cruisliners. Then it dried up and a trickle forced me forward. 'Wake up' They uttered continuously 'Wake up'.

"Go on child, follow them. They will guide you. Their voices are no longer drawing each other out. Listen to it. Follow it. My power is with you, find me more children and let us save the cosmos's light." Her voice was sweet, like a fresh orange. What power did she give me? 

It didn't matter, because I woke up. In the street of destroyed cobbles and tar where she first landed. My head rang and my body ached. I think these last few days have proven that I'm not lucky.