Chapter 2

These dreams kept coming no matter what she did. She read different methods to stop them, she even tried analyzing them to at least understand why she was dreaming about these random people 's deaths. The one thing that really bothered her wasn't the recurring dreams or the dark presence that had now started to linger longer after she woke up, it was the fact that she had never seen these people before. At first she figured she must have seen some of them and just not noticed but by now there had been too many, and growing up in isolation only seeing so many faces she knew something was wrong. She had read in an old sleep study that you only dream about faces you've seen before. She was skeptical at first but it made sense to her younger self as she had only dreamt about herself and occasionally the people she knew.
All of her questions would be answered on a cold late november day. Alice had just opened her eyes to the subtle grey hue seeping through her window. She noticed it as soon as her feet touched the rotting wooden floor. She stayed still, not moving, not blinking, not even breathing. Her eyes slightly widened as she turned on her feet towards the normally empty rickety chair in the corner of the closet sized room she called her own. A dark fog lingered over the chair as if whatever it was was sitting. It almost took the shape of a tall person. She recognized it immediately, she knew that dark, cold, dreary feeling anywhere. She felt it every night. She was shocked, although a small part of her was excited because this was the most interesting thing that had ever happened in her boring, repetitive life.
"Hello." It hissed an airy almost unidentifiable sound.
"Hi," Alice responded with a false confidence, bringing her voice up slightly. She contemplated screaming but she knew it was doubtful any help would come. Not only would no one come, what would she even say if they did? What if they couldn't even see it? What if this was all just a figment of her imagination? What if she was still in a dream, and has just yet to wake up? She subtly pinched her arm, hard, to test her theory. Of course nothing had changed. She was still in the same spot, in the same room, with the same thing.
"Excuse me. I am not a thing," the creature declared offended, " I am the all powerful death. Tremble in my presence as with a blink of my eye I could end your very existence. With the tap of my foot I could raise an undead army."
"So that's the reason," Alice's stares at him, "for my dreams. It's been you. Why?"
Death takes the human form of a tall man in his mid 40s, so he can communicate with her easily. He stares at her for a moment, a bit flabbergasted. All of his mistresses had known who he was, had known the role they must themselves take. And here was this small, malnourished 14 year old girl, although not scared, still startled by his sudden appearance.
"You are my mistress, obviously."
"What?"
He huffs, "I said, 'You are my mistress, obvi-'"
She cuts him off, "No I heard you, I'm just a bit confused, I mean what do you mean by mistress. Aren't you just, I don't know a figment of my imagination or something?"
"I see. Well if I were you I would sit down for this. Throughout history Death has always had a mistress. This mistress has always been related to the Gaunt name, as you are. As my mistress you keep me in check as it is in my nature to become uncontrollable without one. I also have come to often help guide my mistresses to power."
Alice was still a bit wary. She wasn't confused on how she was connected to the Gaunt name as she was an orphan. She wasn't sure if she could completely trust him-
"You can trust me." He states, mildly startling her, " I have pledged my undying loyalty to you. Sorry for startling you miss, our minds have formed a bond now that we have met so we can communicate telepathically."
"Oh, ok." Still in slight shock she starts moving about in her room getting ready for the day, not ignoring him but not acknowledging him as well.
"Excuse me Miss, but one question i've wanted to ask is, why do you let them treat you like that?"
"What do you mean?"
"I mean they have seriously bullied and neglected you all your life and I wonder why you haven't cursed them."
She stared at him, eyes blinking.
"What do you mean curse them?"
He stared at her confused. But then it clicked, of course she wouldn't know, there has never been anyone to tell her, to guide her.
"Well, I mean, you're a witch."

a/n: i'm so sorry this is bad but i actually have no idea what to write and it was a lil rushed. again i'm sorry my loves.