Chapter 1 | The First Snow

Aili could see her breath forming a cloud around the tip of her slender nose with each exhale. She tightened her grip on the leather reigns as her stallion anxiously shifted his long, sturdy legs. The snow crunched beneath her horse's hooves. So, in tune with his rider, he sensed Aili's desire to run far away. Marriage was not what she wanted, but what duty- or her father- demanded. She inhaled the crisp winter air slowly, gathering her courage. It had been a hard winter for her clan. Their larders were running dry, their livestock scarce. She would do what it took to keep her people fed and safe. 
          The MacDonald fortress lie situated amidst lakes, and dense forests, and treacherous highland hills on all sides. As her horse descended down the steep incline, her future came closer into view. She shivered. Aili was not sure if it was from the cold, or the realization that this was to be her new home. Perhaps it was a combination of the two. Despite the warriors traveling closely behind her and flanking her on each side, she felt alone. They would leave and return to her childhood home, as they were assigned to do, and she would remain here- amongst her sworn enemies.
          The trellis rose with a repetitive clink clink clink. The metal bars resembling a prison cell, made her chest constrict. With her head held high she entered the courtyard, hundreds of pairs of eyes scrutinizing her from head to toe. She turned to look over her shoulder as the trellis slowly descended and collided into the snow with a resounding clank- like a prison door being slammed shut.
          A tall man, with dark brown hair and a scruffy beard approached her and her horse. He silently extended his hand, and gave a curt nod of greeting, which she reciprocated. She placed her gloved hand inside his scarred, battle-worn palm and he helped her dismount. She looked up at him, wondering if her thoughts and feelings were so plainly displayed on her flushed face. She would have to work harder to conceal her feelings. 
         Laird Fergus MacDonald waited for her at the top of the steps to the entrance of his great hall. He was a stout man, with a long grey beard, rosy cheeks, and a balding head. His hands rested on the hilt of his sword. At his side stood a handsome man, with bright green eyes, freckles, and fiery red curls. 
          "I am glad you have arrived to us safely. Please, come inside from the cold. We will show you your rooms." He swept his arm in a grand gesture, motioning for her to enter the great hall. She hesitated for a moment. Then, stepped inside, letting the warmth of the hearth embrace her. 

A/N: Thank you for taking the time to read this story. I recommend listening to the music as you read. It will enhance your experience and give you a better sense of the spirit of Scotland. if you were wondering how to pronounce the name Aili, it is pronounced Ay-Lee.