Chapter 2 | An Ill Wish

Aili was swiftly escorted to what would be her new chambers. She was situated in the West tower, overlooking the forest and the glassy lake. The few servants she was permitted to accompany her exhausted themselves carrying her chests up the steep, stone stairs. MacLeod castle was not as vast. It was smaller in size, yet the walls were thicker- harder to penetrate. Aili rested her elbows on the rough window's ledge. She could not deny the view before her was breathtaking, but it was not her home. The sun was beginning to wane, the sky a pink and purple wash mingled with sparse clouds. She wondered if her father was looking at the same sky thinking of her in this exact moment.
          She was roused from her thoughts as the door creaked shut, and the sounds echoed off of the barren walls. When she turned around, her servants were gone. A lass with raven black hair framing a pale face and full figure stared daggers at Aili. "I'm Sofia." She introduced herself, "If you need anything, call upon me." There was no warmth in her voice. Her black eyes burned into Aili's pale skin. She unwrapped the wool scarf from her head, and removed her mittens, shifting towards the stool in front of the fireplace. "Would you light the fire, Sofia?" Aili was still frozen from her travels. Her bones ached for warmth. Sofia nodded her head and silently went to work meeting Aili's request.
         When the flames finally sparked to life, Sofia backed away from the hearth, disappearing from Aili's view. Aili scooted her stool closer to the fire, soaking in the warmth that radiated from it. "Supper will be in an hour," Sofia, said, before vacating the room. As if in response, Aili's stomach growled ferociously. She was famished. She took in the space, noting every inch. She would have to work hard to make this place feel like home. The bed called to her, and she did not resist. She pulled back the furs and the covers underneath and let out a blood curdling scream.
          She fled the room, bolting from the door she left ajar, and into the hall. She was blindsided when she collided into sheer warmth. Ewan clasped onto Aili's arms as they tumbled to the floor. He groaned, taking the brunt of the fall. From his leather clad lap, she looked up into his freckled face, his bright green eyes showered with unkempt fiery curls. Her cheeks flushed red from embarrassment. She pushed against him, trying to find her feet, but he still had a firm grip on her arms. Then, her eyes widened in shock at the birthmark poking out from underneath Ewan's collarbone.
          Instinctively, she reached out to touch it, and pushed back the collar of his white shirt. It was a birthmark in the shape of a bird. She gasped, memories flooding her mind. He gripped her fingers, breaking her from her thoughts, and lifted her up off of the floor. She was still pressed against his taut torso, and when she realized this, she hurriedly took a step back. "What's gotten you so startled," He growled at her. Aili's words tumbled over her tongue. She wordlessly pointed towards her room.
          Ewan shook his head at her, his eyebrows arching incredulously, but he followed where she pointed. When he came back out into the hall, he was holding what looked like a stick doll in his massive hands. "Do you know what this is?" He asked her, speaking slowly as if she were a mute. She shook her head, then swallowed. Ewan's voice got lower, as if that were even possible, and he mumbled angrily, "This is an ill wish." Aili's heart sank. She knew what that meant. Witchcraft. Someone in the castle did not want her here and had decided to go out of their way to let her know, by hexing her.
          "Is this a MacDonald custom I am not aware of" Ewan's eyes widened at her forcefulness of words. "So, she does speak." She grabbed the ill wish from his hands and found the nearest window in the hall. "Yes, and she has a name. It's Aili. You'll find I am very articulate, Sir... Under different circumstance." Aili found the nearest window and unclutched the hex bag from her palm, watching it float down to the courtyard below. Ewan tilted his head back and much to Aili's chagrin, let out a deep belly laugh. She scoffed at him, making towards her chambers once again. The door slammed shut behind her, followed by the lock clicking into place.
          The thick wood and metal material of the door was not enough to keep his laugh from infiltrating her quarters.