Chapter 4 | The Awakening

images flashed in Aili's mind. The smell of smoke, red coating the ground, her mother's lifeless face all played before her. She begged God to give her wings so she could fly far away from the violence and ruination engulfing her home like flames. Then, A boy with a birthmark on his neck shaped like a bird loomed above her on a black stallion. God had sent her the bird she prayed for.
Aili jerked awake, she screamed into the dark. Two broad hands gripped her shoulders. "Shhh," uttered a familiar voice. The fire had dwindled, emitting minimal light. She heaved, catching her breath, sweat dripping down her face, as her eyes fought to adjust to the darkness. "It was just a bad dream," he whispered, in his soothing raspy voice. Once her breathing had slowed down enough Aili managed to loosen her tongue. "What are you doing here?"
"I was on my way to my quarters. I heard you... You sounded like you were in distress. With what happened earlier..." Aili nodded her head in understanding as his words trailed off. Ewan, realizing he was still gripping her delicate shoulders abruptly stood from the bed. "I need air." Ewan stopped dead in his tracks. He turned towards her. Her eyes now adjusted to the dim light emanating from the dwindling embers of the fireplace could just barely make out his features. "It's late," he replied, unconvincingly. "Well, then," Aili swallowed, the dryness still lingering in her throat, "It is a good thing I have you to guard me and show me the way."
She sprung out from underneath her covers and grabbed her tartan that was on the edge of the bed. She wrapped it around her shoulders, where he had touched her. Reluctantly, Ewan guided her quietly through the hallway and to the outer fortress wall, where he had previously stood watch. The night sky was a deep blue, not a cloud in the sky. The moon was a bold yellow and reflected off the lake. Stars decorated the sky like dazzling ornaments. Aili rested her hands against the rough stone ledge, taking it all in.
She breathed in the crisp, frigid air, forcing her current fears and anxieties deep within her. "Thank you." Ewan rested his elbows on the ledge next to her. "This is where I come to clear my head. I figured it would help you clear yours." When she craned her neck to look at him, he was gazing intently up at the stars as she had moments before. "You need not worry about anyone harming you. It has been dealt with. You have my word." Aili sighed. "All my life I have been taught to never trust the word of a MacDonald..." Ewan laughed. It wasn't the deep belly laugh she had heard him unleash earlier, but a quieter chuckle.
"Aye, and I have been taught to never trust the word of a MacLeod or a woman for that matter. Yet here we are about to become brother and sister in the eyes of the law, erasing past wrongs with two solemn words. I know it isn't easy, but we'll learn to trust each other. If not, we'll end up killing each other, and what good does that do our clans?" Aili laughed quietly at his words. She knew he was right. This was to be her clan now, whether she wanted it or not.
"What can you tell me of my betrothed? I have barely seen him since my arrival." The words tasted bitter coming out of Aili's mouth. They sounded bitter in Ewan's ears too. "Alistaire is a good and honorable man. He always does his duty. He's quiet, unlike his younger brother, but he is brave and a calculated warrior." Aili contemplated this information quietly for a moment. The word duty stood out to her. She had always dreamed of finding love when she reached maturity. How dreadful was the prospect of being forced upon a man who only married you because of duty.
Aili had run out of words after hearing that. She turned to head inside, into the warmth and solitude of her thoughts. Ewan followed behind her a few paces behind. He made sure she made it inside her chambers. When Aili climbed into bed, she hoped she wouldn't dream of her mother again, or of the boy who saved her life. When Ewan laid in his bed, he cursed his brother. He would have a talk with him tomorrow to ensure he had made things clear with Sofia or he would have to deal with her himself. Ewan would rather fight a thousand men without armor than provoke that spitfire of a woman.
On the other side of MacDonald castle Sofia snuck into Alistaire's room. She blew out the candle stick in her hands before slipping underneath his covers. Sofia curled up to his rigid torso, resting her head on his firm chest. Her long fingernails drew lazy circles on his bare skin. He roused from his sleep. Glimpsing his eyes, she pulled him into her for a kiss. When they broke apart for air, he cursed under his breath. "I could never turn my back on you, Sofia. I love you."
Tears sprung from her eyes. "Alistaire, I must tell you something..." Alistaire sat up. The worry in her voice evoking his protectiveness of her. With his broad hands he grabbed her cheeks. Her hands wrapped around his wrists in return. "Sofia? What is it?" She slowly thrust his arm down towards her lower abdomen. The sheer fabric of her nightgown was all that separated them. Sofia looked down at where his hand rested on her belly. She sucked in a deep breath. "I'm carrying your bairn."