Chapter 5 | Into the Woods

The next morning, Aili was awakened by a brief, sturdy knock on her door. The latch clicked open and her lady's maid, Sofia, discreetly slipped into the chamber. Aili sat up and rubbed the sleep out of her eyes, taking in the chamber, before realizing where she was. It would take time to get used to her new home. After stoking the dwindling fire, Sofia brought a breakfast tray over to Aili. As she approached Aili noticed how red and sunken her eyes were. Her face was flushed as well. "Are you unwell?" Sofia ignored the question and continued to prop the breakfast tray onto Aili's lap. "Enough fussing over me, I can take care of meself. Take the day to lie down and rest. You need it." Sofia looked up at her then, nodded her head in gratitude, then slipped out Aili's chambers.

***

          When Ewan saw Alistaire at the breakfast table that morning, he knew instantly something was amiss with his elder brother. "Have you seen our father this morning?" Alistaire shrugged his shoulders in response, a faraway look in his eye. He was deeper in thought than was normal. Ewan sighed. "Where is Sofia? I looked for her after her morning duties, but none of the servants have seen her since she served Lady Aili her breakfast. Have you seen her?" Mentioning her name snapped Alistaire out of his trance. He met Ewan's eyes. Instinctive worry pricked Alistaire's heart. He lurched from his dining chair. The wood scraped against the stony floor releasing an eerie creek that echoed against the walls. Ewan decided it was best to deal with whatever crisis was unfolding on a satiated stomach.
          He quietly ate his breakfast, thoughts racing after his brother. Meanwhile, Alistaire scoured the castle for Sofia. Regret pounded in his heart as with each panicked step he took. When she had told him the news that she was with his child, he had not taken it well. The alliance and his duty to his clan shattered in front of him as he heard Sofia utter the words. His father's disappointment in him for risking the safety of their clan over a low born servant girl had clouded his judgment. She had needed him to calm her fears, but he only added to them. He knew he had broken her heart, and now she was a loose cannon. In the pit of his stomach, he knew something was wrong.

***

          A petite and freckled kitchen servant named Ainsley overheard Alistaire questioning the housekeeper, Miss Millie. Ainsley had never seen the austere eldest son of the laird so heated before. She watched as Miss Millie's face became red as she tried in vain to reason with the future laird. Miss Millie was truly flabbergasted, stumbling over her words as he spat words vehemently in her face. Ainsley stepped out from behind the kitchen counter and cleared her throat. Alistaire did not notice her at first, over the sound of his squabbling with Miss Millie. She coughed louder.
          Alistaire finally turned to look down at the young thing. Ainsley reached for her braid with her nimble fingers, pulling on the carrot-colored ends of her hair. "If 'tis Sofie, yer looking fer, me Lord, I seen her..." He stepped away from Miss Millie, whose eyes widened at Ainsley in warning. Miss Millie was protective of her staff, especially ones as young as Ainsley. "Where did you see her," Alistaire asked, his tone suddenly softening. She twirled the same end of her hair around her forefinger and sucked in her bottom lip. Alistaire bent down to her level, knees scraping the floor.
          Their eyes met. Ainsley relaxed a bit. "'Twas after breakfast. I saw her as I was fetching water for the dishes from the well... She was heading into the northern forest." Ainsley pointed toward the edge of the dense tree line that bordered the northern end of castle Macdonald. Alistaire's heart dropped into his stomach. He knew only a fool, or someone extremely desperate would willingly wander alone into that forest. He gripped the girl's shoulder firmly and nodded his head in gratitude. Ainsley smiled innocently up at him before disappearing back into the hustle and bustle of the kitchen. Alistaire turned to give Miss Millie a sharp look before heading for the stables.
           At the same time Alistaire was departing into the forest, a messenger sent from Fergus Macleod was arriving on horseback to castle Macdonald. The messenger swiftly dismounted from his tired horse and wasted no time bounding up the steps leading to the great hall. When the grand doors creaked open, he relayed his message. His job complete, duty fulfilled, he rejoined with his horse.

***

           Inside Macdonald castle a servant whispered into Ewan's ears. He had just finished his breakfast. He exited the dining hall quickly and dashed up the stairs leading to the west tower. He tried to calm his breathing before knocking with a heavy hand on Aili's door. Ewan thrust his fingers throw his tussled curls as he listened closely to the movements inside her chamber. The door opened just a crack, then widened almost immediately when she saw it was Ewan. Aili was wearing a very fitted dress with the tartan pattern of her clan. The blues and greys brought out of the color of her eyes. Her hair was braided to the side, with wisps of blonde framing the side of her face. Her slender neck was only accentuated by the pale, supple breasts spilling out of her bodice.
          Ewan coughed. Clearing his mind of the present thoughts. "I received a message sent by your father. He will be here within a few days to deliver your dowry. We must begin preparations for the wedding ceremony today before his arrival." Aili nodded her head, but her blue eyes darkened. "What is it?" She smiled at Ewan, but it did not reach her eyes. "Where is my betrothed? Does he not want to plan the wedding as well?" A knot tightened in Ewan's chest. That was a good question indeed. Where was his brother? "Most men hardly care for such things. Our housekeeper, Miss Millie will be at your complete disposal. If you are ready, Lass, I will introduce you to the old hen..."
          Aili chuckled lightly, but the disappointment had not completely disappeared from her eyes. She had hoped to get more acquainted with her future husband before their nuptials. She had only seen the man once since her arrival two days before. Butterflies were beginning to tangle in the pit of her stomach with the realization that she was about to marry a stranger. She took comfort in one thing, though. She would give her best effort to truly know this castle, the land it resided on, and the people who dwelt within its walls. As the pair reached the bottom step Aili asked, "Would you take me for a ride when I am done? I want to explore your lands." He turned toward her, the birthmark peeking out from his shirt collar caught her eye. Ewan did not seem to notice where her eyes had strayed, because he only smiled gently at her. "They're your lands now- well soon as you say, 'I do', they will be. I'll come find you after noon."
          For the first time since Aili arrived at castle Macdonald, she found herself genuinely looking forward to something.